Smoke from Tailpipe....

STEVEN.

VIP
Took my '64 Comet out for the first time in a LOOOONG time today. Had to spend about 5 minutes pumping up the Carberator to get it to start...no problem there as the Car has pretty much sat since late August. This Car hasn't seen any Highway miles for quite awhile,so that's where I took it. The ride down(26 miles...)went fine: Heater on,and that's pretty much 'it.' At the end of the journey,I stopped at a Roadside pitstop/used Vechicle Lot...waited around looking at stuff for about 45 minutes or so. Then I got back in and headed for home.....I got back on the Highway,and about 15 or so miles in,I noticed some Blue Smoke comming out the back :unsure: . I let off a bit,and the Smoke let up a tiny bit. I then went back up to 65 MPH & the Smoke still stayed there for about another minute or so before dissappearing. Got off the Highway,no Smoke. Stop-n-Go Traffic: No Smoke. When I got back to the Garage,I noticed the Carb's Idle was a bit "high",so I turned it down a notch,let it run,and then took it for another spin around the Block again. No sign of the Smoke (y) . It's never done this in all the 13 years I've had the Car. Remember,this is a 23-K ORIGIONAL 200 Engine in this Car,and I've alway's maintained it. The Car has a N.O.S. Exhaust System,the Radiator is less the 3 years old(stock replacement Brass/Copper...)as is the Water Pump and all of the Fan's Belts. I'm wondering what/where & WHY that Smoke appeared. I'm guessing that the Carb's the next thing to get rebuilt/replaced(it's never been apart before,at least since I've owned it...). Discuss. ~OO6.

A nice new set of valve stem seals. Cost me 16.20 from Repco, suit everything from 1960 to 1983 US small I6's.

Hmmm,THANK'S Dean-Oh! I didin't even think of that one :) :roll: ! I'll get on it after New Year's. I'm STILL going to re-do that Carberator though :wrench: . ~OO6.

;) Hi Steven.Might also consider that as long as the car sat,it might just have been a little surface rust on the cylinders.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Thank's Leo. But the Car has been run here & there(around Town,on the Expressway,ect...). Since I've had the Car,I've changed the earl about 5 times. Went to the Parts Store 'an ordered up a set of Valve Seals...should be here by Friday (y) :wrench: . ~OO6.

xctasy":1cs6lucl said:
A nice new set of valve stem seals. Cost me 16.20 from Repco, suit everything from 1960 to 1983 US small I6's.

I'm thinking that as well.Because I can't think of any other way for oil to get into the inake trac other than possiblity the pcv
But does a 64 even have PCV valve?

Yes. My Comet's 200 has a PCV Valve. It also has a Generator which is the last year for those :shockin: :wrench: . Of all my Ford Sixes,this is the first time I've ever had something like this happen...that's what I get for buyin' a Ford ;) :LOL: ! ~OO6.

STEVEN.":2mh29bnx said:
Yes. My Comet's 200 has a PCV Valve. It also has a Generator which is the last year for those :shockin: :wrench: . Of all my Ford Sixes,this is the first time I've ever had something like this happen...that's what I get for buyin' a Ford ;) :LOL: ! ~OO6.

Its a shame that ford didn't use a material that wouldn't last more than 49 Years. :roll: :roll:
How many 64s are our there DRIVING around on good 49 year old tires??

Funny,when I bought the Car,it still had the origional Tyres on it:-E-70-14 Firestone Champions. I saved all the Tyres along with the origional Fanbelts(with the Ford Logo & part # stamped into them...)and the origional Radiator & Battery Cables. Started it up & drove it around today. No smoke. I also caught some He!! from the Landlord,when I complained about the whole ordeal. He suggested buying pre-ware Cars,like His Duesenburgs,Cord's & air-cooled Franklins & Marmons,stuff with truely exotic Engines and THEN see what it's like to find Engine Parts. "You won't find stuff on the Shelf @ Auto Zone for that thing",pointing to the huge & glamourus '38 Lincoln Zepher Coupe,complete with V-12 Flathead Power. 'Over the years I've had to re-weld Blocks & Cylinder Heads back together when they've cracked,I've had to pay Guy's to make me new Valve Springs/Pushrods & Rockers for stuff that simply does'nt exist anymore,and YOU'RE going on about a little cloud of smoke comming out the back of you're 'mearly 48 year old' Mercury?'" He suggested buying 'an early 40's Car,then start working my way backwards from there,decades-wise :mrgreen: ;) :LOL: ~OO6.

(y) That Duesenberg is a beaut, restored a 1946 Cad once that was lots of time and had to make quite a few parts. Not doing something like that again :rolflmao:

Landlord has two 1929 Dueseberg's and a '31. They've been in His Family since the late 40's,while the one '29 Roadster has been in the Family since 1960. It was this particular Car which turned out to be the most expensive of all the Duesnbergs the Family has owned:-His Father paid $675 for it :shock: :eek: . The Dueses are pretty spectacular in their own right,but I like the Brother's Stutz Bearcats. There's four of them:-two 1917's & Two 1918's. ALL are Right-Hand-Drive,and all were given to the Boy's by their Father,Grandfather & Uncle when they were 10 years old. The Brothers Jack,Jarrod,John & Joe recived Stutz's,while the 5'th Son,Jacob recived a '26 Oakland(Pontiac..)Sedan. All but Jarrod are still alive,and of course,all of the Cars are still in the Family. ~OO6.

Update. The Valve Seals have been replaced. No more Smoke. And Bubba,buy 'an Airline Ticket,& bring your Camara(s). Landlord sometimes has 'an open house a few times a year. Oh,and bring your Wallet too,ya never know WHAT you may go home with Parts-wise. ~OO6.

STEVEN.":19zwgm1j said:
Update. The Valve Seals have been replaced. No more Smoke........ ~OO6.

Thats Wot happens.

My head is C1 170 head reconditioned many moons ago, but still has the same seals. I'm doing it myself too.

Bubba,buy 'an Airline Ticket,& bring your Camara(s). Landlord sometimes has 'an open house a few times a year. Oh,and bring your Wallet too,ya never know WHAT you may go home with Parts-wise. ~OO6.

Thanks STEVEN, would like that :unsure: will see maybe he will have an open house during same time I make a trip back to Virgina (y)

:beer: Hi Steven.Glad to hear that your "smoking problem"was an easy fix.And,Steven."Smile,things could be worse.The BOSS could be twins".
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

A question for you STEVEN-

To replace the seals, did you pull the head and take everything apart? Or did you do it on the engine? I've seen tutorials about moving the cylinders to TDC and then using compressed air to keep the valves closed while you remove the springs.

Back