Stainless header/exhaust install

hey guys

I just finished installation of the CI stainless steel header on my 66 mustang. Everything went great. All bolt holes were right-on. Starter is high mount and reinstalled very quickly after I had the headers installed. No interference any where. Great job Mike.

Dayman- did you have to remove the starter to install the header, or was is off already?
Nice to hear the bolt holes were good. How are the clearances elsewhere?

I removed the starter to get to the bolts on the end of the factory exhaust manifold. I don't have a lift and had to do everything from the top side. I think I could have installed the headers without taking off the starter had I been able to have the car on a lift or if I could have found my flex socket to remove the bolts. Murphy is alive and well at my house. Things just disappear.

I put ARP studs in the head before I installed the headers and used the 12 point nuts that came with the studs. I had to chase the threads in the head to get the studs to mount the correct depth, but other than that, it was an 1 1/2 hour job to remove the old manifold, clean the threads, and install the headers, start the motor..

It don't get much easier than that. Now I have to hookup my mufflers and I will go to the muffler shop for that work.

Hope this helps.

You must have recieved a better set. I had to open the flange holes up a bit to match the gasket. Used a allen head bolt for the very back lower flange bolt to work. WIll most likely ceramic coat the headers next winter. Glad your happy with your set.

I just finished installing my CI dual out header. Everything went great. All the bolt holes were good. There was one nut that I couldn't get a wrench on, so I used Vise grips. I had to put the stud in with the nut already threaded then back off the nut as I tightened the stud. Not a big deal.
It is a bit close to the top of the starter, so there may be a mini starter in my future.
Exhaust goes on tomorrow!!!

Back