Starter Ring Gear/Torque Converter?

200ci66

Hey guys, looking to put a higher stall torque converter in my C4 while I'm rebuilding it. Why is it that my torque converter has the ring gear welded right on but every single torque converter for a C4 on the internet has no ring gear? I already purchased a torque converter, but I'm going to return it, it's obviously not the right one. The guy I talked to from Jegs told me that Fords never had the ring gear on the torque converter, always on the flex plate. What's going on?

My signature might say 68, but after digging into it the transmission has to be a 70 or later. A 70 or up filter is the only filter that will fit on my valve body.

Yeah, that's one of the weird things about this motor.

I've had my torque converter tweaked. Stall is about 2200rpm.

So what are my options? Can I change the flex plate on the motor to have teeth? And how exactly do I go about modifying my torque converter if I just decided to go that route? The torque converter I got off Jegs is probably for a V8, would that even work with my motor?

200ci66":8hdauf8t said:
Hey guys, looking to put a higher stall torque converter in my C4 while I'm rebuilding it. Why is it that my torque converter has the ring gear welded right on but every single torque converter for a C4 on the internet has no ring gear? I already purchased a torque converter, but I'm going to return it, it's obviously not the right one. The guy I talked to from Jegs told me that Fords never had the ring gear on the torque converter, always on the flex plate. What's going on?

You are looking for the 1964-1981 high mount I6 3.3, choice 3 of 6 possible choices. The aftermarket is being nice to you, as it has trouble processing myrids of Ford small in-line sixe automatic transmissions, even before adding the 2.77/3.03/250 manual gearox variations.

As a result, there is really no such thing as an in line six C4 on the internet. The only game in town is a Vee Eight!

In the C4 world, they DO service mostly the 164, 157, and your 136 teeth item to the right. They don't commonly service the 160 versions found in oddball pre 1965 221/260/289 and and 148 teeth Mustang II 5.0 V8's and the conversions for V8 Bobcats, European Capris and Pintos.

144.jpg

"C4 flexplates exist in four basic sizes. From left to right are 164-tooth, 157- tooth, and six-cylinder. Starter drive ring gear is on the torque converter in 144/170/200-ci six-cylinder applications. Not shown is the 148-tooth flexplate for Mustang II, Pinto, and Capri applications with smaller bellhousing."

http://diyford.com/assemble-ford-c4-tra ... ect-shift/

They call it Ford's C4, Cruise-O-Matic or Select Shift transmission

The small I6 is actually very complicated as there were US 250 versions with V8 lookalike type flexplates without V8 or V6 unbalance factors.

The small sixes including the 3.3 200 cubic inch I6 , the four bearing 144/170 as well, had six differetnt automatics, the US 250 had three additional ones.. The small six 3.3/200 cube I6 choices are therfore six items deap.

Namely:-

1. Two Speed Cruisomatic torque converter and integrated ring gear
2. a rare MX semi automatic Maverick gearbox (same as 3.3 C4, but a differnt trans listing),

Then two kinds of C4

Yours is

3- (one with the 1964 to 1983 high mount starter 136 teeth integrated torque converter,

4- the other C4 are for some 1981-1983 Big Bell Grey color block low mount starter 164 teeth flexplate
5. one 164 teeth 3.3 lock up clutch C5 Big Bell Grey color block low mount starter flexplate (1982-1983)
6. a high mount starter 138 teeth C3 flexplate (1978-1983).

To complicate maters, if you were to search, say, the Falcon or Fairmont flexplates, you might get the slections for the overseas Ford I6's. In this case, you also get a 7th, 8th and 9th choice, the 160 and 157 teeth Australian flexplates in C4, Borg Warner and BTR form, for nine different 170/188/221/250, 3.3/4.1, 3.2, 3.9 and 4.0 engines.

if you have the right torque converter for your application, dont return it. go to http://www.vapinc.com/flywheelringgears/main.html and see if they have the ring gear you need. as indicated it is a 136 tooth gear. it was welded to the torque converter at the factory, and it was designed to be replaceable without having to replace the flexplate.

I will use phoenix trans when i get mine rebuilt. I talked to them a while back and they know all about the 200 ring gear issue. Price was very reasonable from what i remember.

Back