Stock 200

A

Anonymous

Okay guys, here's the deal. :LOL:

I'm going to a few salvage yards tomorrow to see if I can find a spare 200 to play with in the basement.

How much is a reasonable price for a decent used one? Also, what are the best years to look for?

-Chris

8) 100-150 would be a good price for a motor you are going to tear down and rebuild. as for what year, anything after 64 would be good.

If you're going to be rebuilding and maybe building it up some....
1. Contact CZLN6 first about getting his book. It's the best thing that ever happened to these 200 sixes.
2. I'd say, if Dave (above) concurs, that the Fairmont/Zephyr/Late Mustang or late Capri engines are your best bet. They are the last version of these engines and have most of the goodies already built in, including the 1.75" carb opening, Duraspark, etc. The oil pan and pump pickup will have to be changed to swap into a 'Stang or Falcon. The only thing they lack is compression ratio: they ran between 8.5 or 8.8:1 from the factory. Mostly, this appeared to be done by raising the deck height, so consider milling yours to fit the thicker head gaskets that are mostly available. Or, check my post in Buy-Sell-Trade for some of Ford's own replacements: I still have a few left. Go for 9:1 or a little more.
3. Be sure to get the Duraspark and wiring harness, distributor and throttle linkage, too. Grab the fan clutch, if it has one.
4. If you're lucky enough to find a late Capri/Mustang with this engine, grab that hard-to-get Weber carb and adapter, along with the air filter. It flows more than you're used to on the old engines, plus it's 2-stage!
5. If you get the "standard" Holley 1940 or 1946 1bbl carb, get the choke piping and exhaust manifold setup, then put a pipe plug into the EGR hole on the exhaust manifold. This will make the choke work properly: see my post in Hardcore Tech for more info about that.

Have a ball, but don't strain your back - these guys are heavy, as my still-sore-1-year-later shoulder can attest...!

Howdy All:

Wow! Thanks for the endorsement Mark. But a Question- I'm not aware of any Mustang or Capri with the Holley/weber 2 stage two barrel. Are you talking about the Mustang II, 4 cylinder version?

Chris- the answer to your question requires a few more questions and answers before "the best" can be suggested. Are you planning a complete rebuild? Will this engine ultimately go into you '66? Later model ('77 and later) engines have several advantages; mostly from the head gasket up, including ignition. I've had very little practical experience with the late model Holley #1946 carb, but none very good from a performance stand point. they do start, idle and drive nice, with pretty good economy. Most E0XX blocks had the low mount starter location- another complication/blessing.

The later models also had a longer water pump and pulley system- not good for radiator clearance in early vehicles. Forged steel rods were standard til '73 and not used again until '82. In between FoMoCo used cast steel, cast iron and nodular iron. This is likely not an issue except in extreme use. Cam timing is also an issue with later blocks. FoMoCo retarded timing for economy and EPA reasons (I think). The later exhaust manifolds are encumbered with too much EPA stuff to be of any use.

Mark covered the pan. Simply use the oil pump and pick-up from your recipient vehicle.

It's unlikely that you'll find all the best parts in just one year. And all can be helped in rebuilding and machining. All that being said, I'd start by looking for a Fairmont-et all, from '78 or '79. More specifically, a head casting of D7BE-AB and a block casting of C8XX or D8XX with a high starter location. E0XX head castings have an extra machined window below the carb pad for mounting EPA stuff.

If you haven't already, begin looking for a thin head gasket to help with the quench deminsion and pre-combustion turbulence. I just got 2 from Mark. That and a zero dect height will help with a worthy CR and lessen Knock.

Best wishes. Enjoy the journey.

Adios, David

Back