Superturbo

A

Anonymous

Hey
I have a BIG holset turbo thats to large to be installed on anything under 400ci
but what I would like to know is, Can I convert it into a supercharger , is there somone who makes a kit

Any help would be peachy :)

Check my post in the Hardcore section on Blowing my Budget. I had a go using the serpentine Commodore VN V6 belt with a remachined blower pulley.

I tried a supercharger conversion using my wade RO34 blower of a TS-2 1954 Commer truck. I ran out of space in my XE Falcon as the unit is quite large and has some less than favourable inlet shapes and postions. I devised an over exhast shroad, with a snorkle to run the heated super charged air into SOME three CA125 carbs. The supercharger was to be held up by a steel plate which looked like a seven lampstand minora mounted to the five bolts at the bottom left hand of the engine. That was the only way I could think of packaging it on my XE Falcon.

The GMC 3, 4 and 6/71 blowers were too big, the 6/93 may be able to be run if the manifold is custom made.

I looked at making extra jiggs to run my Wade blower, but I gave up when I realised I was going to have problems with other things breaking. My XE was going to need more than just a few coins to bring it up to the level I wanted.

One day, I keep telling myself.

It can be done better on a Cortina because there are no strut tower to get in the way. The issues then are primarily space. The SC12, SC14 and Autorotor/Sprintex/CAPA super chargers have some kits via Castlemain Rod Shop and CAPA. Yella Terra run some extensions for there Terra Charger and Eaton M90 (Commodore) set-ups. The best example here is Dukeowindsor's XF 4.1 ute. He removed the power steering, and got a good result on Propane using an AU E-gas carb.

A positive displacement supercharger is okay as long as its well arranged. I saw a trick GRA carbed Propane Cortina TC with a Toyota SC14. It wasn't a great sucess as the carb blew through a well organised, but tortouous route, with the EFI intake runners. The SC12 and SC14 are two blade supercharges made by Ogura in Japan. They tend to hurt the proper operation of blow through GRA carbs. They can yield up to 250 to 280 hp if intake heating is kept to a minumum.

I've slobbered a bib full.

What im trying get at is can I make a supercharger out of the front half of the turbo

:oops:

One day, I may even learn to listen (or read.... :oops: :p :shock: :D :eek: :roll: ;) )

Asa67Stang had a link to a 25 hp turbo, but it was an elcheapo deal based on a T3. May bee if you used two?

The physics can't be cheated. There have been engine driven turbos, but the haven't been perfected yet. Once someone uses an integrated motor assist like the clutched turbos used on primemovers, then it will work. I've seen torque converters geared into the exhast impellor, and a special clutch used on big earthmovers. You find it in diesel books, along with compound turbos, and exhast brakes and lots of exoitic stuff. My suggestion is read up on it, and then do some concepts your self

It could work if special superconductor magents are used to couple the turbo to the engine to create boost, but the system would need vaiable gearing to work.

A t03 may take 0.7 seconds to spool from idle to full speed at 9 pounds boost.

A t04 could take 1.5 seconds.

A Holset would take over 2 seconds.

If you gear it, the intial movement is not enough. To go from a 2500 rpm cruise to 120 000 turbo impelle rpm in a second requires nothing short of a varible drive system. Once its up to speed, it can run itself by being declutched.

I heard Mitsubishi experimented with the electric turbo in the mid 80's, but canned the idea. Volkswagen did a few G-rotor turbos, Opel did a few Comprex blower Deisels, but none has suceeded more than a few years.

Best idea Ive seen is an Anglo Aussie idea. Get a way to big turbo. To spool the way too big turbo, just add a Fogger nossle ahead of the air intake. You use a third of the Nitrous you would on a non turbo. Run it from 1500 to 3200 rpm, and have a failsafe lock-out. I saw this in a Car Craft book in the early 1980's, and again in a David Vizard book.

One day, someone will perfect a geared super-turbo charger that doesn't need an elaborate system to run it. It could be you, Gassed!!!!

Cheers for the link
Thats one wild setup but somthing a little more compact is what im lookin for

Back