TBI throttle bodies

Hudson Nut

I want t TBI my daily driver Hudson. Are there any throttle bodies that have the same bolt patern as the 2300 series Holley carbs?

Dbzokle would say "sure thing", as he has been looking at running just one on his ME headed US 250.

cfiSPtoovee.gif

The 1980 to 1985 CFI unit from the Lincoln/Mercury/LTD separate frame 114.3 wheel base Fords with the 5.0 will fit the bill. Cheap and easy to get, but harder to calibrate because..no-one has done CFI duals or triples ...yet.

The injectors are stock Bosch types, so you can run it as a Port EFI with a more inderect line into the cylinder head.

Each gives 120 hp and 213 lb-ft per throttle body in the first year, and about 140 and 225 in later years. 2 of them might j-u-s-t be able to feed your screemin' Hudson, 3 would certainly do it justice.

Do remeber though, that the atomisation of the gasoline from the fuel injection isn't any better than the Holley 2300 because the CFI unit impinges on the back of the throttle blades. In your case, it will not cause any problems.

The key to making it work is linking each injector to a bank fire MemCal or CalPack Delco computer, and then burning an eprom for it. The throttles just have to link up to one Throttle Postion sensor, and that's it, all your tuning is by pulse width. Ignition can stay separate. Options is to use a sequential SDS or MegaSquirt. There is so much adjustability in those set-ups that I'm quite sure they are great options.

There is nothing esle in your way. Base idle on the CFI is by an EEC module which is pretty basic. There is a large air blead idle control system which could be hooked up against just one CFI.

There may be someone on the Big Block six forum who may be able to hack into the 1985 to 1996 EEC computer, and link it up to two or three throttle bodies.

To make rapid progress, find which system you are going to use, and then stick to it. After you've done YOUR homework, don't let others sway you. There are dedicated experts around who wil make sure your set-up is state of the art. The idea of Fuel Injecting a Hudson is something every EFI expert in America would be interested in!

Personally, I'd go for the Delco set-up, and adjust the injection pulse widths. There are a raft of Windows 95-based systems which will allow you to hack the system for the price of a used 250 buck lap top and some dyno time.

One question, how are you proposing to do the engine inlet and air temperature and fuel table corrections? Most EFI systems are adjustable by ressitance or by table. Effectively, you arrive at the drag strip, check out which bulk correction for humidity and air and seal level correction is and run bunch or pre set EPROMS's form a grocery bag. Sort of like what carby guys do, but every run will be the same!

This system is for the wife's daily driver. It has a borrowed Clifford 4bbl intake on it now with an Edelbrock 500 cfm 4 bbl. I moved to the high desert (altitude near 4000 ft) and with driving down the hill on a regular basis (altitude 900 ft), I can't seem to get it tuned to run well in both places. I'm going to use a factory Hudson aluminum 2bbl intake that I already own, with an Offy adapter to go to the Holley 2300 bolt pattern. I want to use only one, and keep it TBI, and simple, controlling only fuel.

I'm working on a couple of other intakes for the race car. I'll post some pics of those pretty soon.

The 1980 to 1984 CFI Fords ran two Blue injectors rated at 477 or 483 cc per min. Each injector is huge (45.4 to 46 pound of fuel per hour), and run at medium pressure of about 33 psi.

The peak power is indeed only 120 to about 140 Hp for the 5.0 HO CFI auto.

There is an 2.3 HSC injector which is rated at 673 cc/min . Two together are 128 pounds per hour, enough for 200 hp without any real problems. The little Ford gave about 100 hp with just one.

Remeber, CFI or TBI is just one or more injectors located at the throttle body, basically a more efficient carb. It's not better than a venturi carb, just easier to keep in tune.

Back