Throttle body system for I6's

strat1960s

VIP
I saw in January's Mustang and Fords that Holley has a throttle body injection system that bolts right onto the intake manifold of just about and V8. Does anyone know if a company has come up with anything like this for in-lines? I was just thinking something like this would resolve many issues for carberation and climate changes.
I sent an email to Holley asking if they had anything like their Pro-Jection system for I6's. That is something I would very much be interested in.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Ted

Holley does i believe
if not, their system for the 4.0 Jeep I6s should be able to be modified for use

i think Clifford has something...

I am looking at clifford/redline webber right now. I have yet to see a price and application chart.

Ted

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/P ... 01-12.html

Basically, it will require an adaptor as it sits on a 2v base even though it's a 1V TBI. The pro-jection system however isn't really the greatest and you may have better luck getting their Commander 950 system or another ECU to drive the TBI.

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/P ... FMSFI.html

I think you'd be better off with this system:

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/P ... 0-19S.html

It's a 2V TBI with a 4V base, but you can easily use a 2V adaptor because the Holley baseplate for this TBI has the outer 2 venturis blocked off anyway, so you can face those away from the engine and preferably direct mount the TBI.

Slade

CobraSix said:
http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/FMS/FMSFI/501-12.html

The pro-jection system however isn't really the greatest

Is the Projection not the greatest in terms of performance, economy, or reliability? I ask because I am interested in using EFI on the stock, big log 200 residing in my 62 Falcon Wagon. I am interested in reliability, clean burn, economy, and ease of installation, in that order. The simpler it is the better. My Falcon doesn't want to run fast she just wants to run good. Inquiring minds want to know.

Mike A

I have been in contact with redline weber. They said they could put together a system with all the parts needed to get the car up and running. I am waiting to hear back from them. One of the key factors as far as I am concerned is the overall price of the system. I'll keep everyone posted.
This sounds like a good idea, but I am sure I am not the first one to think of it. If anyone else has done this or something like it, please let me know.
Ted

I have been pondering crank triggers. Wondering whether it's feasible to knock something up which would interface with GM gear. That'd give you a good aftermarket if you're not brand-sensitive.

Not good in terms of performance, but that includes economy. It only operates in Alpha-N mode, which basically an overglorified electronic carb. the real gains in performance and economy comes with speed density and Mass Air. The Commander 950 runs in AlphaN and Speed density depending on what you want.

Slade

I just got a reply from holley. They too recommended the Commander 950-16. Prices would be nice! lol.
No one wants to give me a price quote.

Ted

Complete Commander systems tend to run $900-1100 depending on what you are looking for. Summit Racing has the best prices I've found.

Slade

It will only handle up to about 130 hp, but the Tempo/Taurus 2.3 throttle body is a bolt on and could be run with a Megasquirt. You could probably cobble a complete system together for as little as $300. You would need a pump, pump relay, and return line to the tank. The FPR is built in, but adjustable.

Might be just the ticket for a mild 200 or maybe even a stock 250.

How about a TBI setup from an 80s LTD/Mustang and a megasquirt. It has the holley 2300 footprint so it'll work for 2V with an adapter or directly mounted on a log.

ThrottleBody_1.jpg

ThrottleBody_5.jpg

DBzOkole,

Now that is lookin' good. I had a set up like that on my old 85 LTD11. It worked flawlessly for over 150,000 miles. I got great gas milage with that car. Around 30 mpg on the hiway as I recall.

The Holley set up is sweet but 900 +/- bucks is a squeeze. I have one kid in college and the other headed there next year. Having Holley tech support would be nice. With Megasquirt you are left to your own devices to figure stuff out. Their web forum is pretty good though.

I will probably get to the EFI next winter. Which way I go will depend on the checkbook at the time.

Mike A

Since this is all new to me, I think kindergarden level EFI is in order. In that case TBI is a good place to start. I will most likely start experimenting with my Triumph Spitfire first. I have a Weber DVG manifold laying around that a TBI like the DBzOkole is using should bolt right up to. When I sort out the Spit EFI I will then turn to the Falcon and maybe upgrade a bit there.

I just checked out the "Megasquirt External Wiring Diagram" located on the Megasquirt main page. http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

For fuel management only, it looks pretty simple once you get all of the external hardware mounted to supply input to the ECM. Coolent temp, air temp, O2 sensor, engine temp, throttle position and fast idle are all that is shown on the input side. The output side shows only the injector(s).

The wiring linking the assorted sensors and injectors to the Megasquirt isn't much more complicated than switching from points to Duraspark or generator to alternator. Simple enough in fact that an old wood butcher like me might be able to figure it out.

Has any one checked out the control box that comes with a Simple Digital Systems ECU kit ? It looks to me that this box eliminates the need for a laptop. Am I right? It also looks like the control box is small enough to mount somewhere in the cockpit to allow for tuning on-the-fly. Now that would be way cool. It might also eliminate the need for me to buy a PC laptop. We are an all Mac houshold.

Mike A

think MustangSix has an SDS on his Xflow. In addition, i think Megasquirt has an option for a push button box- maybe the Mega View?

Has anyone actually tried using a single throttle body from a Tempo with a Megasquit on a stock 200. If so what type of increases in performance were noticed. I'm mainly interested in mpg increases.

there was a page ( I got a print out somewhere) wher ea guy ran a GM port setup on a slant six using the stock mopar electronic dissy
(all it needed was a square wave signal......points was too noisy to run it) the GM ECU he used had a eprom in it that he could flash using a simple setup on his pc. I would be interested if there was a similar sized tbi setup on a gm that could be used on our cars....maybe a 4.3L truck tbi setup?

as far a crank trigger you could have a plate made to bolt to the from of your dampner that you just clock where needed for TDC and have a simple pickup feeding it.

I think the GM setup would be best (the flashable kind) I know there is some good forum support out there for doing it. as far as a port setup I would be interested in using a good epoxy to mount injectors in the runners on the log and jsut run a TB on the carb pad.

prob the lowest buck deal would be a 3.8 ford setup just bolted on and use fuel pressure to adjust mixture as best you can. only hold up is the dissy needing a pickup though....would prob need a bushed aussie dizzy

Does anyone know the size of the injector that is used with the Tempo/Taurus TBI unit? I know that I can adjust the fuel pressure from the stock pressure to vary the lbs rating. Also does anyone know how far the pressure can be turned up on a TBI setup and can I use a external high pressure pump like the ones that was on the Ford vans or would that be to much pressure. If it is to much pressure is there a source for a low pressure external pump at the junk yard. Far as I can determine the 2.5 was rated at 88 hp and my 200 is about 107.

Back