All Small Six Time for an Exhaust System...

This relates to all small sixes
My head is off my engine, so I can't record mine, but I'm running either dual 2.25 or 2.50 with an H pipe. I like some of the Waldron Anodode setups in the video, but can't find them on their website. My system has like 50 miles on it, so I'm not in the market. Just curious though.

Rebuilt 200, small LOG head, 264/264-110 cam, Weber 32/36, Header 2.5" collectors, HEI dizzy, T-5 tranny swap...

Suggestions on pipe diameter and muffler choices please!

My thinking...keep it true dual all the way back, keep it 2.5", and was liking MagnaFlow (model?).

Thanks guys! ...Wak
Run a cross over or X pipe with no larger than 2 1/4"

From what I've read of reviews, it seems all kits have some fitment issues. I haven't checked this one in particular, but even the scott drake exact replica has had some reviews saying minor adjustments were needed. Not all. Some reviews of the same system and car will say fit with no problems.
I would expect to do at least some minor adjustments

my old volvo has a peashooter.. it has a two into one header but the stock exhaust. I tried an experiment where I put in a 1 " steel ball and a seat with a spring behind it and that went down to the road so it could idle quiet but if I took off it would open when there was enough pressure. Interesting experiment but it had a point where the ball got into a state of equilibrium and rattled..

I went for a long drive uphill and the spring couldn't take the heat so it got weak and I fitted the thing with a bolt that I can screw in to close it. I did do the polishing and cam etc so it did benefit from better flow but I didn't want to change the original appearance. I did as much as I could without affecting the original look too much.
I thought I might revisit the idea using an external weight or a vacuum actuator. Its a fire hazard pointing down to the road. had fun with it but closed it off for now. I can go to a dual pipe system I guess.

some exhausts can make a sound like it is breathing in when shifting. I have heard that that sound is actually an indicator of a lot of bad things happening within the engine , vibrations and such. any truth to that?

how backpressure and engine life relate is a bit of a mystery to me. Its been a while since I saw a honda CRX fly by, but there used to be a lot of them bombing around with these great big exhausts. I think they put out a lot of power, just not for very long. I guess there is a magic point where a size increase won't give more power, it just makes it noisy. Some may not like the term "noisy" ;-)

one thing that experiment did teach me is under what conditions the backpressure was high, as I could hear when it opened and it surprised me a bit that it didn't only relate to engine speed.

in racing it's different, where more noise is encouraged ;-)

I live on a main street so I'm glad the boom boxes went out of fashion. I seldom hear them out there rattling their licence plates off now.

Last edited:
Looking at my gas tank, I'm not sure I can do a dual exhaust.
The tank looks offset towards the drivers side with only about 6" between it and the leaf spring.
The passenger side has way more clearance.

Sorry but I forgot this in my last post . The kit I purchase from summit fir for the most part & came with clamps & hangers. But since I installed it on a 6 cyl with a split header I did have to purchase several hangers & install them in different locations in a horizontal position to hold the pipes in position thru the center part of my vert where the steel plate ties the sides of the floor pans together ,thus no moveing around to bang on anything.

I don't know what car or eng you have but I also purchased 2 catalyic convertor flex connectors to go between my down pipes and the exhaust system. Most likely overkill but I tried to have a little give between the motor & pipes but rigid like the factory is on all old cars.

Mines a '65 vert also. The torque boxes and the plate that connects them isn't much of a concern to me...it's the gas tank.

Can anyone comment on their dual exhaust setups, if their gas tank is centered or if there's less clearance on the Drivers side vs the Passengers side?

Is this common on all early stang's?

I think all of the 60's mustang gas tanks are off center to the drivers side of the car. Some of the guys on the vintage mustang forum run pipes bigger than the 2 1/4" I have on my 67 vert ,on their v8 cars .

Can anyone comment on their dual exhaust setups, if their gas tank is centered or if there's less clearance on the Drivers side vs the Passengers side?

The '63 Wagon has the offset tank to drivers side with little clearance. Wagon has a later 170, Headers, T5 and original 3.50:1 rear. Currently the dual mufflers exit out in front of rear wheels and I want them over-the-axle to in back of rear wheels as trad'. the Wagon has Frame Conn's, Rear Sway bar and dual air line air shocks complicating install.

I asked a shop owner who works with classics and muscle cars and after looking underneath, said he could custom bend an over the axle configuration but would 'take some time' - ($). I don't believe there are any off-the-shelf dual exhaust over-axle configs' to accommodate the offset tank.

. .

have fun

I doubt if you are going to buy any thing off the shelf that will work. My 67 vert had a rear sway bar but I had to loose it to install the duals on it. My tank is also off centered ,but when I actually got the pipes in I had plenty of room. I suspect you will also as the Mustangs were based on the Falcon platform I believe. You could most likely use a kit from summit for a Mustang if the sway bar were not on there.

Have you considered buying one of the kits that have a lot of different bends & pipe & try to work it over the axle& sway bar yourself ? I had to cut 1 of my pipes about 3 times to work it over the axle because it was bent incorrect.

My son in law welded it with my welder which is set up with gas shielded wire & it turned out fine.

Nice looking wagon you have.

I LOVE wagons...:love:

I don't have a rear sway bar to worry about, but like you said, I'll probably have to tweak a few things here and there.

It's going to have to go to a shop to get from the header outlets to beginning of the system.

The kit I purchased from Summit for a v8 that I installed on my 67 vert with a 200/c4 included everything includeing the pipes to connect to a set of header collectors that I only cut a bend off of 1 to use in my system. I think it sounds great but my wife hates everything about it now that its soooooo loud

The good thing about that is she don't ride in it ,which hurts my feelings sooo bad.

Doing more research (cuz I'm a neurotic idiot that overthinks everything)... I might do a 2.5" Y-pipe off the header to a single 2.5" all the way back to a fake 2" dual out of the rear.... thoughts?

I suspect you might have a problem when you split in the back unless you can run one similar to a six exhaust system in front of the tank. If you have a split header on a 6 I think I would just buy a dual kit for a v8 & run duals all the way. Save yourself a lot of work.

If you have a single outlet header on a six i might run one big pipe all the way& maybe install a powered cut out in it to dump out the side in front of the rear wheel . But that's just me.

The problem i see is unless it a kit for a v8 you still would have to have a single fabbed up at a shop . On the vintage mustang site a lot of the guys talk about the bigger size pipes haveing a droneing sound at certain speeds & even with certain mufflers.

I probably could have used 2" & been fine but the 2 1/4" fit good & sound good. I 've had a number of people say that it don't sound like a 6 .

My 67 Mustang Exhaust.

Attachments

• DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_0002_5.jpg
    DSC_0002_5.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 11
  • brakeline.jpg
    brakeline.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 11
^
Looks great Bill...

It's a bit trickier with a convertible with the torque boxes and cross plate.
The T-5 does give a bit more space through the channel over an automatic.

Or there's the choice of a duel exhaust kit from Waldron Exhaust. Classic Inlnes worked with Waldron Exhaust to build systems to fit on our six's based on the factory Ford Mustang GT Duel Exhaust System. There is enough room to fit a duel system on your car next to the gas tank, if you can find an original Mustang GT to look at or some pictures of a stock system you will see that it will fit. https://waldronexhaust.com/product-category/complete-systems-for-cars/ford/
If you want you can contact them about one of their duel kits that are made to fit a six they had several choices. Also CJ Pony parts carries the Waldron V8 duel exhaust kit that would could be moded some but all the rear parts from the mufflers back should fit. https://www.cjponyparts.com/waldron-exhaust-llc/c/8_1001_173/
Best of luck

Bubba... I was thinking of buy a kit that had everything from the trans. to the back, and just have the shop make the rest to the header.

Still researching on which way to go yet...

Rebuilt 200, small LOG head, 264/264-110 cam, Weber 32/36, Header 2.5" collectors, HEI dizzy, T-5 tranny swap...

Suggestions on pipe diameter and muffler choices please!

My thinking...keep it true dual all the way back, keep it 2.5", and was liking MagnaFlow (model?).

Thanks guys! ...Wak
I recentley installed a dual outlet header & 2 1/4 dual exhaust system on my 67 vert 200/c4 . It don't sound like a 6 but like a v8. A much needed upgrade over the factory exhaust system.

Back