All Small Six Tuning help requested for 32/36 weber

This relates to all small sixes
Still having issues tuning my setup....
Think I have wide open figured out, fuel wise. Afr seams to settle out anywhere from 13-13.5 depending on gear and time. Usually richer in 1 and leaner in 3/4. Still have a pinging condition but runs great. Also belive I have a low speed cruise problem as my afr can jump from 11 to 14.
Wide open is good but I haven't really layed into it due to said pinging problem.

This is directed towards bill(wsa111), but all are welcome. How does one adjust the total timing on a ds2 distributor? I know total is a combination of initial, vacuum, and mechanical. I know how to measure all three and have the specs provided by wsa111. Base at 18-20 with 18 additional. I feel like I need to limit total,(tempted to drive with vacuum advance disco and see what it does). I'm running around 14 base at the moment trying to keep it some what drive able, but it did seem to like more base.
This will kind of be a temporary setup as I'm hoping to swap to efi and electronic ignition this winter (see my post in efi section for more) but if I can get this working correctly I'll postpone a little. Efi is out of desperation to make this thing work right.

Swapped a knock off 38/38 on my setup today, driven maybe 5 miles. All I can say is what a difference. First time I've been able to get it to idle around 14 afr. With the 32/36 best I could get a 12.0/12.5. Wide open with 38/38 is at 13.0. 32/36 would start there and during a pull rise higher(numerically).
Made no changes to timing, base is at 16. No pinging with ambient at 80 temp. Holds 75 no problem, and effortlessly accelerated to that with no problem. After the show this weekend, I will begin to slowly dial the timing back in. As bill (wsa111) suggested to run my setup with 18-20. And I think I can safely run that now.

Still some pinging, but much less noticeable. I can actually accelerate in 4/5 and not have much. Ac on causes it to happen more frequently but much better than before. Afr at wide open is 13.0, which I belive is slightly leaner than preferred. So I belive I had a under carb'ed problem, but it's better. What is recommended afr at certain points? Cruise/ idle/ wot/ transitional.

He will have only 32 degrees total advance, should be at least 36 total. It has to be a lean WOT A/F mixture.
On your HEI they have way too much centrifugal advance unless you had it recurved. The HEI also has an over oiling condition. If you have oil dripping from the base where the cap mounts you have that problem. However i can fix that.
I don't have any over oiling condition at all. I have checked the total advance with a Sun Machine with a dial back timing ling light. If his car doesn't ping with 32 total advance I would set it there until any lean condition is remedied. I fix everything myself, house, car, computers or whatever.

Still some pinging, but much less noticeable. I can actually accelerate in 4/5 and not have much. Ac on causes it to happen more frequently but much better than before. Afr at wide open is 13.0, which I belive is slightly leaner than preferred. So I belive I had a under carb'ed problem, but it's better. What is recommended afr at certain points? Cruise/ idle/ wot/ transitional.
Use common sense and your own practicle experience that you may gain from stopping the pinging by using a lower the initial timing. My 200 with a China HEI does not ping at 13.0 WOT with 14 degrees initial timing. I used the stock HEI weights with springs from an advance kit. My D7 head is milled .060. Maybe check your total advance with the distributor installed and running at operating temperature. Running another carb I found that a lean mixture 14.5+ at 210F engine temp. will ping.

Last edited:
Use common sense and your own practicle experience that you may gain from stopping the pinging by using a lower the initial timing. My 200 with a China HEI does not ping at 13.0 WOT with 14 degrees initial timing. I used the stock HEI weights with springs from an advance kit. My D7 head is milled .060. Maybe check your total advance with the distributor installed and running at operating temperature. Running another carb I found that a lean mixture 14.5+ at 210F engine temp. will ping.
I will back timing down to 14 and try. It likes more timing(base), but in not familiar enough to the ds2 in particular to change the curve nor do I want to mess with bills handiwork.
It's a start and I can go from there. Thanks.

Hi Dragonlich 1961, if you want you can do a check of the Mechanical Advance on a DS II to see where you at right now by removing the Top Plate for access to the parts its' not to hard to do, then inside you should see like what's in the below attached picture. Here is a link to some basic info on how these Ford Distributors come apart too. https://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/Duraspark_distributor_recurve_instructions_index.html

In this below picture example notice the 15R on the Slot for the mechanical advance weights is set up for 30 Degrees together with 14 Degrees of Base Timing you would have 44 Degrees Total way to much and it would cause Detonation. The good thing is that all Ford Dual Advance Distribitors will have two Advance Slots / Choices to work with. This is always done in using Crankshaft degrees (Distributors like Camshafts only turn 1/2 as fast as the crankshaft). See also that there is a second notch that is '10R' that would will give you 20 degrees of mechanical advance if your using 14 Degrees of Base Timing than 20 Degree of Mechanical is what would work better for you giving you 34 Degrees Total.

To change to other advance 10 degree slot, start by: Removing the springs from the posts, be sure to mark them so you know which spring goes to which post. Now remove the felt dust washer from the recessed hole in the shaft, inside there will be a snap ring you remove using a small needle nose pliers. Then you can lift out the centrifugal shaft unit off the drive, turn it the other slot and reassemble sliding the advance weights into their position again. Its a good Idea to clean parts of dirt and rust and use a little bit of white grease or lithium all the moving parts were they rub each other as well as their pivot pins. That would like it work very nice again. Good luck

Attachments

• Ford Dura Spark II Mechcanical Advance System..jpeg
    Ford Dura Spark II Mechcanical Advance System..jpeg
    308.4 KB · Views: 1
I will back timing down to 14 and try. It likes more timing(base), but in not familiar enough to the ds2 in particular to change the curve nor do I want to mess with bills handiwork.
It's a start and I can go from there. Thanks.
If it's pinging backing off the initial timing is just common sense.
I'm am sure that Bill did a great job curving your distributor.
Pinging can damage your engine so stopping the pinging should be your first priority.

If it's pinging backing off the initial timing is just common sense.
I'm am sure that Bill did a great job curving your distributor.
Pinging can damage your engine so stopping the pinging should be your first priority.
I'll be able to spend some time on it again this weekend and First thing i'll do is back the intial down. I'll drive it from there and see how it does.
Thanks, Chris

Back