turbo 200 questions.

scottiedawg66

Hey, im new here looks like a cool forum. As of now I have a '65 fastback sporting a 200 with 92,xxx miles on it. Im gonna tear it down and get a metal head gasket, ARP studs, and make sure that eerything is kosher. I also have a ct-26 turbo from a supra. This turbo is good for 9-19 psi. I am not new to turbos using EFI. But whats the deal with carbs? Id love some feed back. I assume that im gonna just run my intercooler piping into the carb? Since i want fairly high boost i want a blow thru style carb? What size carb am i looking at? and is there a source for turbo manifolds for the 200 or do i have to fab one? Thanks again.

~scott

There's currently no source of turbo manifolds for these motors. You'd be left to fabricate something according to your ideas and space constraints (it's a tight bay).

One of the other guys will chip in with some carb sizing ideas, but I don't know if the intercooled bit has been perfected by anyone, yet. Again, space makes planning essential!

Cheers, Adam.

im going for over 300 hp...so im gonna probably want a 750 cfm carb. I'm just not sure how boost is gonna affect carb life? I've already got a walboro 255 fuel pump, so i need a carb that can support 18 psi. How am I going to need to modify my carb to live through 18 psi? BTW im gonna shoot for 8.5:1 compession.

18 pounds - you'll ideally use a carb box, and a Holley style carb with non-collapsing float. Either that or go EFI with a throttlebody injector setup. As to 8.5:1 CR - that's high. Get it right and the power will be there, but don't factor in long life.

For comparison's sake, the current Ford six turbo is 6PSI, 8.7:1 but with VCT. It dynos at 320HP.

Adam.

8.5 Cr is not outrageous for a 18 psi engine, I have friends who run 9:1 with their supras and push 24++ psi :eek: ....I have the 7 main bearing 200, with a metal head gasket, and arp head bolts i think my motor will survive ok. Where can i source a carb box? Thanks for the help.

~scott

And a supra has an aluminum head and a much better designed CC.

-=Whittey=-

what CR do u sugguest for 18 psi whittey? U seem to know how to do math. I'll probably end up using a knock sensor and A/F gauge and adjust boost accordingly. Any thoughts about that?

~scott

supras have engine blocks with different designs.......also japanese cars seem to be able to put up with alot more boost.......especially more than a 200..........also all 200's had 7 bolt mains which is awesome for turbos. as far as a 700 + cfm carb u will need a custom adapter and u will have to machine the intake alot. u can get a 2bbl 500 cfm holley and bolt it on rather simple with minimum machining. as said before, the engine bay is tight so you would have to custom fabricate a carb box, also because a paxton box wont fit on the engine. and finally,the heat would be very high and would require water or alcohol injection. maybe u could drop ice into the water resivour :unsure:

good point about the paxton unit, i thought of that. And all 200 sixes prior to 1964 are 4 main bolt. Thanks for the carb info, i think a 2bbl 500cfm is gonna be my weapon of choice. Keep the posts coming this is a cool forum.

~scott

yea you probably shouldnt be getting all your turbo tech from supras. they are i6's but thats just about the only thing they have in common. what are you planning to do to your short block to handle high boost?
if you want high boost (which honestly isnt needed - ask if you wnat to know why) the cast stuff will only hold for a short while.

everybody is worried about heat but it honestly isnt that big of a problem. just do the stuff that you should do anyway: use some header wrap, front mount an intercooler, get a 170 degree thermostat, and run some good fans and heat will be not be a factor.

im only gonna run 8-12 psi on the stock internals, use a MHG, ARP head bolts, FMIC, 170 degree thermostat, I alrady have a 4 row radiator, and new hoses. I have a test engine im using now, so pistons getting some sun isnt a huge issue. Good comments tho thanks.

~scott

Back