All Small Six Vacuum Leak on A shaved head

This relates to all small sixes

Mustango

Well some time as gone by with the rebuild. It seems the engine builder checked with a vendor about mating the new Weber, they had him use a little bit of JB weld at the base. Well, he went a bit overboard and for a while has been acting up when the engine has been on the road a while it starts to act up.

I have brought it back to the engine builder for a couple of re sealing to no avail. I have now just put on a permatex sealer in hopes this may work. Anybody had trouble matching up to a machined head.

The bigger fix is to remove the head and valves and such then remove all the JB weld and have somebody that knows what to do with the mating of the 38 weber carb. I have put a spacer in last week to raise it off the top of the valve cover. It was running well when on the cool side. Of course I cannot get the carb tuned and the right timing down till I get to the root of the vacuum leak. Any experience on this out there.

I believe the best way to do a 2V mod is to furnace braze an iron plate to the log, to make a nice flat mount point for the weber adapter. Not every builder/machinist has that capability. I believe Jeff Jones does it that way, because we discussed doing a dual 2V conversion to run two 32/26 carbs years ago.

It could be fun to practice cast iron brazing-welding in a charcoal furnace on discarded SB Chevy heads.
Small Ford six large or small log heads are not easy to find here in northern California.
Almost all the old cars here have been crushed.
I had to drive 90 miles to pull a 78 200 which at that time was the only 78 Fairmont 200 at any Pick'N'Pull.
It had the flat top D7 head which I sent to the local machine shop after I installed all new Rockauto valves.

Back