200ci Valve cover install and rocker tips

This applies only to 200ci

gserafini

Subscriber
Hey everyone! So last night I went to replace my PCV Valve and grommet, and the old grommet fell into the valve cover. Now I obviously have to pull the valve cover to get it. I am wondering what the best practice is to replace the valve cover (sealant, torque specs, etc.)? I have a cork gasket ready to go for it. Also while I have the valve cover off, anything I should check or look for inside? I've never had the cover off since owning the car for 15 years. Also I was just driving the car yesterday for 30 mins ripping around. Doesn't drive perfect, but she's working.

There is a baffle under the the grommet ( if oem cover ) the grommet is probably retained by it. Try getting a thin wire ( safety wire ) and try fishing it out🤞

Just looked, the baffel is closed on one end and the other end is pretty close to the end of the cover, almost not enough room to come out and drop down IMG_3567.jpegIMG_3566.jpeg

Ah good catch and thanks for the photos! The old grommet is so rock solid that is wont be fished out without breaking it into pieces. I have to take off the cover unfortunately. Any tips on re-installing after? Torque specs/order? Inspecting things while its open?

Make sure the valve cover is flat by the bolt holes. Tap with a hammer as needed. Glue gasket to cover with weather strip adhesive, let dry overnight, then a thin vote of rtv and install. Let dry overnight. Don’t know the specs, but snug and maybe 1/2 turn. Easy to over tighten. I am working on a silicone gasket but still in the works👍

Back