Water Pump Whine?

It was a "stock" single row chain...Melling, or whomever supplies OReilleys. Like you say, don't know why something like that wouldn't have happened right away. As far as the cam bolt--I guess anything is possible, but doesn't seem likely to me. I double and triple check everything, it was torqued to specs, etc. If you can imagine a bad belt screech, that's what it sounds like...not something wobbling or banging. I'm running some Marvel Oil today, and it seemed like it took much longer for the sound to appear. In fact, I let it idle for about 10 minutes with no noise, than gave some gas and the noise started again, remaining even when going back to idle.

Did you put in the spacer between the cam gear &the camshaft??
If you had the double roller chain & an aftermarket oil pan there is interference between the chain & the front of the pan.
Bite the bullet & pull the engine down & look for interference or galling of mating surfaces.
What is your crankshaft end play?????
If the engine was a previous sludge bucket, start from scratch. Good luck.
If you have one of the junk DUI's the shaft could be seizing up from lack of lubricant.
That distributor is an engineering disaster.

I appreciate all theories here. I've been using them to go through a process of elimination. Again, with timing gears/chain, I put it back together just like it came apart, with a single sprocket gear, and it was fine for 500 miles. To me--and I've been wrong before--it seems down to something that finally wore out--oil pump, main or rod bearing, or maybe even cam bearing. It develops when the motor starts to warm and parts start moving faster. Heck, I even sprayed WD-40 on the timing cover crank seal, hoping it might be the screech! Crankshaft end play/thrust bearing could play a role also.

Hi, something tells me you should check in the bell housing before you pull the timing cover off. Good luck

What you say sounds like a throw out bearing. Is there slack in the Z bar? Good luck

I'd take the fact that the noise went away when there were to extra quarts of oil in it as an indicator that you may have a problem with a main or rod bearing, or the oil pump.

With some more inspection, the loudest noise on the stethoscope comes from the hub that surrounds the crank (where the front seal is). I also removed the dist to make sure it and the cam gear were ok. The oil pump drive seemed to turn freely. So I've become comfortable with the idea that the motor at least needs to come out and the bottom end inspected.

I think you are making the correct choice. Keep us updated and let me know if I can help. I have a bunch of 170 stuff, I don't know what would interchange but I'm sure the folks here could guide us.

I think i have the problem narrowed down to an oil related condition, oil pump came loose from the block. Remember do not install a gasket there.
Oil pump pickup loose where it attaches to the bottom of the pump??
Remove distributor & get an electric drill & attach a 5/16" socket to an extension & spin the hex drive clockwise & see if you hear the whine noise?? Advise after setting oil level to the proper full mark on the dipstick.
What weight oil are you using??

Thanks, AGS, for the support. I didn't have the ability to spin the oil pump, but I did turn it with needle nose pliers, and couldn't ascertain anything wrong. If the oil pump theory is correct, I hope you are right! Motor will still need to come out. I'm not going to mess with it from underneath...you have to jack up the motor anyway just to drop the pan, and getting a gasket back on correctly is sketchy. Luckily, I've got a hoist and engine stand. I'll provide updates!

Best of luck, sorry.
But - now, better than later. You've kept a good eye (ear) on it!

I would pull rad,damper, and timing cover first. that is where the draft tube passage goes to..You said it was loudest there.
What ever you do hurry up the suspense is killing us. :unsure:

Hearing about possible oil pump issues have me worried I'm putting a new pump in my 170 without a gasket between the block and the pump. Should I use a higher torque on those bolts or put locktite on them? I don't want them to back off later so I'm considering pulling the pan back off before I install the motor and make sure my oiling system won't have issues in the future.

Yes, I'll be pulling the motor soon--the suspense is killing me also! If you really can't wait, come on over, I'll provide the iced tea and beer! For the oil pump comment, I wouldn't worry...whatever my problem is, most repairs done right have no problems...I'm starting to think this is not even oil pump-related. I was reading in the shop manual today that main bearings can be replaced without removing the crank. I will at least inspect them, and yes, inspect the timing set area. I will be ecstatic if I'm just able to make a positive ID on the problem. It's kind of like when you lose a part on the floor, you tell yourself "I can accept the loss, if someone will just show me where it went!!"

Since the whine is related to oil level it sounds like the oil pickup is loose, gasket failed, that noise occurs when any pump cavitates
sucking air instead of 100% oil.
Do you have an oil pressure guage to confirm a pressure problem. Is the oil pickup tube & screen correct for your engine pan.
While you have the engine down, regardless what you find, you better check all the bearings & crankshaft end play.
Another area to look is an oil galley plug behind the timing gear blown out??

Michigan to Texas is a bit to far, sorry..but thanks for the offer.....The problem will most likely be the last place you check. :D
I also like the oil pump sucking air idea.

Hey Guys, I appreciate all the thoughts, and have a list of what to look for when I get the motor out. Today, for kicks, I had a spare new harmonic balancer that I installed. While the old one was off, I sprayed some oil in behind the crank seal. When I put everything back together and started it, it seemed to go longer, about 15 minutes, before the whine and screeching came back. Could just be coincidence, hard to tell.

Back