What’s a fair price for a stock C9 250 head (about 100k miles)

62Ranchero200

Famous Member
I have a completely original, 100k mile 69 (C9) Head from a 1970 1/2 Falcon 250. Fairly large log and valves, although not the largest. Would need hardened valve seats. What would be a fair price for something like this?

Thank you,
Bob

Howdy Bob:

20 years ago I bought many C9 "M" casting heads for $50 and less. In the last 5 years I haven't seen one in the recycle yards so I guess that will raise the price some. Lately I've been looking for E0xx castings for rebuilding. I have one in the garage that I bought 10 years ago for $40.

After all that history, I'd say any thing over $50 for a core builder would be a fair price for my area. That's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Adios, David

to me there is no such thing. "The amount the deal is completed on."

It relates to so much: condition, year, mods (if any), geographic area (of USA), type of area (city, rural), recent similar sales, from who, geo distance between sales/purchaser, ...ad infinitum.

$75 - $351 (if no mods)

Just ran a thread on this. There were several head reconditioning whole sellers. Seems ATK may B only 1 (nationally) left. Summit just stopped. Not sure if this ATK (at Jegs) is same co w/name change or new 1.

Used: I like car-parts.com. They have national presence for networked yards. Plug in Y/M/M, then narrow the geo scope if wishing.

I think the C9 is what we call here the "M" head (1969 i6, ie stang) & is good for the 'direct mount' carb (milling). A slight increase in price might B expected by some sellers (who know).

Sorry 2 B so inscrutable but that's how I C it. None being cast today (except the alu & its detachable intake) so go w/ur gut. Huston area should have plenty. Seek out the '77 + as it's more 'sporting'. Read above 'tech archive' (@ blue bx w/crossed screwdriver/wrench) & get the i6Performance Handbook (frm Matt @ vintage inlines dot com) if really wishing to know these engines!

Off topic. What models did the E0 heads come from?

On topic. Fully rebuilt C9 heads sell for approx. $300.

E0 heads can be found on the 1980 up to 1983 on some models 82 on Mustangs, Ford Fairmont & it’s Mercury version, Mustang and Mercury Capri, Granada, Mercury Monarch. (y) :nod:

The problem with ANY used head is it is bought on the assumption that it may be cracked. Unless the head has been dissaseembled, cleaned and magnafluxed, esp in the area between exhaust valves 3 and 4 it's worth is like throwing the dice for $50 maximum. If it's been checked out I'd pay $175-200 for one knowing it's good and hasn't been milled down. That's a big problem if you have a 250 buying a "rebuilt" head online for $300 or whatever, I don't know what the chamer size is and two I won't trust it and will pay to have it gone through anyway. It costs me $70 to get one disassembled, cleaned and magnafluxed. The last two heads I've gotten, a D7 for $40 from the pick and pull and a D5 free from a forum member both failed the magnaflux in the same area but otherwise looked great. Cost me $180 for 2 cracked heads....

I bought my '69 250 engine (complete/original) for $90 on craigslist or facebook marketplace (can't remember which). I haven't had it mangnafluxed yet though...

This will not help but but when I bought the late model 170 flat top, large log, small chamber head that Ak recommended, it was 78 dollars at the dealer, new with seats..This was a DO head in 1970 for my high school tri power 200 mustang...Seams cheap but I was only making a dollar an hour :( Hotrod parts are cheaper now than ever but lately have started to climb. :devilish:

62Ranchero200":1j9wfdwj said:
I have a completely original, 100k mile 69 (C9) Head from a 1970 1/2 Falcon 250...What would be a fair price for something like this?
One part of the market -

car-part.com
nuttin listed for Huston
but

1969 Cylinder Head Assembly 200/250 econo carb
Ford Mustang
ON CORE
NOF $75
Roswell Wrecking Co. USA-NM(Roswell) E-mail 575-622-2831 / 800-624-0656

Most shops won't buy any blocks, heads or cranks until they are degreased and magnafluxed first, then they will give you the standard $40 or $50 going rate. Most people will not buy one that isn't magnafluxed first. There is just too high of a risk of them being cracked or unusable.

That's why it is not worth the time and money to buy a used head. After you pay for the head plus having it magnafluxed and then a rebuild. You might as well buy a rebuilt head online for $300. They are still available.

I am not talking ebay or online junk yards. But an actual head rebuilder.

I'd still have it checked out Marco. When my machinist, who I trust, handed me my D5 head and told me how great it's condition was as we made our way outside, we both saw a glint in the sunlight. After putting it in the bed on a piece of cardboard while talking about it and looking it over we went back in and rechecked that area and Voila...a tiny crack @ #4 exhaust into the iron. And it took some real looking hard with the dust and the lamp. Like the video below demonstrates, it doesn't matter how much you pay. If you don't check you don't really know. You're taking it on faith. A crack is the worst case scenario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iweOXavXFCQ

Back