All Small Six What is the flanged opening just above the oil filter for?

This relates to all small sixes

4lugnuts

200x500 Sponsor
200x500
Supporter 2021
Can anyone tell me what the flanged opening found just above the oil filter on the block is for? Is it supposed to be closed, and if so, how?Photo on 1-20-22 at 11.48 AM #2.jpg

Hi, the early 144 engines use that flange for the road draft tube. Next, a PCV system uses the same opening. I don't know the year Ford put a freeze out plug to block hole, but I would guess since 1964 that opening has not been used. Good luck

On the first 144's engine blocks that was used as a mounting for the Road Draft Tube. Later they used it for the new PCV hook up. So it depends on the parts you are going to use on your car if you need or want to plug it with a soft plug.

Hi, the early 144 engines use that flange for the road draft tube. Next, a PCV system uses the same opening. I don't know the year Ford put a freeze out plug to block hole, but I would guess since 1964 that opening has not been used. Good luck
Thanks!
On the first 144's engine blocks that was used as a mounting for the Road Draft Tube. Later they used it for the new PCV hook up. So it depends on the parts you are going to use on your car if you need or want to plug it with a soft plug.
Thanks!

a tube was jamed in there that hada immediale curve dwn & ran toward the ground as exit. "1st pollution control", PCV next ieteration, then a closed PCV system (thru a/c from v/c to v/c). Later 'cat.', EGR & onto todays system w/all the ins'n outs that happened between.

Back