All Small Six What machining required for ARP SBF Rod Bolts?

This relates to all small sixes

mad_science

Everyone recommends upgrading rod bolts to the SBF ones but I keep seeing some machining is required.

...but no one says what machining is required.

I have parts going to the machine shop next week to get pistons swapped and block cleaned up. Need to know what to ask for (or see if I can DIY it on the mill at work...).

IIRC they will resize the crankshaft end of the rod, measure & hone or bush the wrist pin ends. They will balance the rod also. That is what the weight slug area is for. They will also shot peen the beams to work harden them for helping to resist cracking along with polishing them to eliminate stress risers, again to help prevent cracking under hard use
^^^But this isn't required just to swap to SBF rod bolts, right?

Reconditioning the rods is required when changing rod bolts. Balancing the rods, shotpeening and polishing the beams is not required. Depending on the shape of the head on your existing bolts compared to the new bolts, some minor reshaping may need to occur to clear the recess in the rod once its pressed in. The bolts do require a press fit into the rods, so an arbor press or a small hydraulic press is needed. A machine shop equipped to do this is better suited if you're not familiar with the process. Even though its simple, its not really a DIY process for the inexperienced....

anytime rod bolts are changed at a minimum the big end should be resized on all engines, the HIPO after market bolts require the head end rod bolt hole to be chamfered to clear the radius under the head.

Back