Offy Tri-Power

I don't know if they are still being made, but they aren't too difficult to find on ebay if you're patient. It usually takes about 3-6 months to find a good on on ebay. That's where I found mine.

I don't think clifford offers them anymore.

Slade

I ordered one from Summit, but called later to find out about delivery. Two month wait to get one from the factory. Called Vintage Speed, they had a few in stock. They shipped it right away, good service.

Well...

I am putting a self-ported big valve 250 ci '77 head on a "previously" rebuilt '66 block for my '65 Mustang :shock:

When you buy the Offy they need to know what year the head is.... it does matter. The stock '65 head has a round "log" and the later 250 heads have a flat "log" (plus some ohter differences).

I bought my adapter from Vintage Speed in Vero Beach, FLA. I tried ot buy it between Christmas and New Year, when they "were checking e-mails" but not in the office. I left them three voice messages and one e-mail... and they never responded :x But when I did actually talk to a ral live person on the phone they were helpful and shipped it right away :D I paid $195 plus a little over $10 for S&H. Summit quoted me like $205 or something like that plus S&H.

You will also have to find a machine shop to fit the adapter on the log. I was charged $130. Basically 2 hours of machine time at $65 per hour.

If you are inclined to save some money, the log can be adapted to the intake with a hole cutting bit, and a dremel. Here are my instructions:

http://www.kastang.net/offenhausermod.html

Basically, you need to know if you have a pre-69 or 69+ head. The log went from a round design to a flat top design in those years.

Slade

Thanks Slade. How about the throttle linkage? Did you fab up your own?

I haven't been able to find an Offenhauser website. Couldn't find the intake on the Summit site or the Vintage Speed site. I'm still looking.

I was like you, couldn't find a web site or any info on the vendor's site. Just call Charlie (I think that's his name) at Vintage. He'll set you up. When I called Summit they took my info and then called me back to say they could get it. Summit has the number to Offy I guess.

What kind of carbs do you use? Could you use three 1100s? I've got two now.
Really looks neat, Kstang. A Cobra Six.

I used the Autolite 1100s fore clearance reasons. the 1100s are the shortest carbs you'll find. I had clearance issues because of the air cleaner I was using. the webers are a popular choice too.

Slade

Offy still makes them I talked to them a couple of weeks ago they were six weeks out on production. They did give me some dealer numbers, I found mine at Car Products in Utah 435 477 8313 for $221.00 including shipping the kit came with the linkage and instructions. Check out Kastangs instructions they are better. With regard to carbs I went with Weber 34 ICH they are what Clifford sells with their kit, they are manual choke. The 1100's will work but I got scared off when talking to Pony Carb they highly recomended I not go with a tri and thier carb. I have always had trouble with the automatic choke on the 1100.

Defintily modify the log yourself. I would not pay anyone else to do it. Its not tthat tough as long as you measure, then double check and measure again then cut.

The linkage is pretty simple that comes with the kit, the hardest part honestly is the throttle from the gas pedal to the linkage and the fule line. I fabbed up a pretty simple one for now, but plan on making it look better here before too long.

Slade has some issues driving it every day, so if that is what your car is, you might want to reconsider other options. Mine is a weekend only car, so its not that big of a deal for me.

Bill

Bill,
My engine goes in this week any advise on setting this up, Im going with Weber 34 ICH. Which carbs did you choose. Craig

What problems could you expect as a daily driver? Also what does this do for low end torque, which I want more of. I assume they are progressive, so the choke goes on the middle one, right. So what do you do with the other chokes?
As for fuel, how about soldering up a little fuel log with hard copper tubing, hi-temp solder and brass fittings?

Craig,
I used the Webers as well. The ones I got were replacement carbs for a BMW 2002. With regards to setting up your engine I am not sure what you mean exactly. Are you talking about how to modify the head etc?

I had my head at a machine shop to get the port divider brazed in after I drilled the wholes for the Offy and cleaned up the flash so I could mount it. I also had them straighten out the exhaust gasket mating surfaces, and do some porting. I was very pleased with the machine shop work, and like it has been mentioned here before, the guys seem to really enjoy it since its not just another Chevy 350 V-8, its something different.

Ludwig,
I did exactly what you mentioned for the fule line. I ran a hard line from the original fuel pump, around the back of the motor, put an inline clear fuel filter in, then ran the hard line again to some of those brass T looking things with compression fittings in them, and then to each carb, with the fule line terminating at the front most carb.

There is a TON more low end power in my opinion. Although I have a 3.03 three speed and the 3.20 rear end, so that helps also. The choke would go on the middle carb. I belive Slade just left the choke on the middle one of his 1100. I do not have any chokes on any of my cars, as I said I don't drive it during the winter, but if I ever did, I would just install a munaul one that runs in to the car with a pull lever.

Bill

Cliffy recommends the Weber 34 ICHs,. but they must really like the ones they have- they charge a bunch for them. I did some snooping around and found that Weber made 34 ICT. The only difference is the ICT don't have a power valve per se IIRC. I picked up a couple off of Evil-Bay and will see if they work. As for the center carb, the head is off a '77 250 and the Offy adapter is sized for the stock carb; so I will be going with that. The stock carb also has the ported vac for the DS II dizzy I also put on and the choke. I'm also planning on running and EGO to see where the outboard carbs are with respect to rich/lean and tune from there.

CobraSix":2wiua1tw said:
I had clearance issues because of the air cleaner I was using.

*thought*
ya know that carb hood that import killer used for his turbo setup? would that fit on the webers?
use three, use some ducting, run a 3 --> 1 with a cone filter on the end...

Back