Butterfly not fluttering

A

Anonymous

My carb's butterfly isn't moving, it's just on 3/4 throttle all the time. Does it need a rebuild or just tuned and how? Oh it's on a 200 btw..1 barrel..Thanks, guys.

maybe replace the choke system with another one or clean the entire choke setup with carb cleaner it ust might be gummed up.

If it has a thermal pull off, take the cap off and make sure the spring is tight in the slot. If the pull-off spring comes off you have no adjustment of the butterfly.

It seems to me that there's an "arm" that looks like it should open and close the butterfly when the throttle is manipulated, but it doesn't the butterfly is always open.

There seems to be a thredded plastic "nut" there that is loose. I was going to just hose the entire thing down with carb cleaner and see if that does anything, now that I see somebody else has the same idea I'll go right ahead and give it a try.

where is this plastic 'nut'. is it on the same rod that the butterfly valve plate is attached too? if u go to this section of the forum under the topic 'which carb is better' i have a few sites there and one of them gives an exploded view of various carbs so u can understand the choke a little better.

Notice that the butterfly flappy thing (let me know if I'm getting too techy here) is wide open, I just noticed the other day that it's been that way since I sent it out for work.

carb_002.jpg

carb_001.jpg

that carb almost looks like my carter RBS carb, but still has quite a few differences. a part like that wouldnt come in a rebuild kit so dont bother going there. what do u mean by loose though, does it seem like a part thats supposed to be loose? it looks like the nut thing is supposed to be adustable, is it? if u feel helplessly lost with this carb ( its not something ive seen before, is it old?) u can always go to the junkyard and find a singlebarrel carb thats newer, like a carter YFA. i found one and i didnt even have to rebuild it and it cost me 20.00 cdn$$

I am feeling a little lost, the car runs great though, thanks to everybody on this forum, I would like to keep it because as far as I know it's original and I think that's cool.

It does look adjustable and like I said the car is running great now I would just like to know more about it being new to this stuff. From the look of it, when the throttle is openned up the butterfly should open up and when the you let off the throttle it should close.

From what I understand about carbs, the air that gets through there creates a vaccuum that draws more fuel in, if this is always open how does that apply?!?!

If you can close the butterfly just by pushing it closed, then it will open and close. If the engine is cold (like in the morning) and you close it by hand, then start the engine and it still opens up, the pulloff spring is not working. The pulloff spring is inside that black hockey puck thingy closest to the rear of the car. Remove the three screws and there should be a coiled spring in there with a loop on the outside end and a flat tab on the center end.
This flat tab needs to stay in the slot inside the choke pull-off cap and on the longer lever at the top that runs the pulloff mechanism. The slot in the cap might be broken off, in which case, get a new cap and continue the following. If it is okay but the spring is not stuck in the slot, the choke won't pull off. Tighten the spring tab a little by squeezing it together at the bent over place and then push it all the way down into the slot in the cap. If the outside loop is open, the lever can slip out. Tighten the loop. Reinstall the cap/spring assembly, making sure the loop on the outside goes over the long lever that runs the choke butterfly mechanism. From the pix, I think the nylon nut is okay.
You can test the whole choke mechanism to see if it works by moving the longer lever under the cap back and forth before you reinstall the cap. If it is working correctly, you can turn the black cap and the butterfly will move. To start, you push the gas all the way to the floor first. This allows the choke to close and open just the right amount. Then wiggle the gas pedal as you crank. You probably already do this.
I did all this stuff with my own Pony 1100 and it works just fine now. If nothing looks like what I described, then you have a different model or pulloff mechanism.
You can only test it once or twice on a cold start. After this, it is no longer a cold start.

Thanks ludwig, as soon as I'm done the wifes chores I'll be out there and I'll let you know how it goes.

Sorry I haven't checked it..It's dark out now, so i'll check it later. Thanks.

Back