Replace 170 with 200

Rinke

Hi all,

I'm rebuilding a 64 falcon station with 2.77 tranny and 3.50:1 rearend.
My engine, an original 170 hasn't run for over 25 years and has seized up.
I can get my hands on a running rebuilt 200 from a mustang 66 for far less than the rebuilt cost of my 170.

What do you all say, a do or a don't. :unsure::
Or are there things I have to look out for??

I'm planning on not changing the tranny, or the rearend. :!:
This, because I live in the Netherlands (europe) & classic US car parts are not cheap to come by & not very available.
And, I stil have the doortag & I'm trying to keep her as close to original as is possible.

Greetz Rinke

Howdy Rinke:

This is one of the most direct swaps/upgrades you can make. I hope you get the 200 Autolite carb with the engine. It has a larger venturi than the 170 Autolite.

However, the engine will not be consistant with the vehicle ID tag. A 200 engine was not an option for a '64 Falcon. This will be a major deviation from original. It will appear very original to most anyone who doesn't know.

The 2.77 tranny will be marginal with the extra torque and power of the 200. Treat it with care.

Best of luck.

Adios, David

HI
I have to agree that the 200 is a deveatation from orginal but if $$ are an issue and you need the car running then make the switch but save the 170 for when you might have the $$ to rebuild it. the do so and put it back in. It won't have the power of the 200 but then again it might because its a fresh rebuild, but it well be orginal with matching #'s.
just my .02
Tim

Hi David & Tim,

Thanks for the info.

I know the car won't be original with the ID tag, but I am planning on rebuilding the 170 for later use. (and do some savings :idea: )
I'll try and get the autolite carb, if that is a better option.
What will the effect of a larger venturi be?
Up to now I've just been busy with the chassis and the suspension and I haven't had the time to dive into those kind of things.

And for the power (~speed).. well, we have a very enthousiastic police force with an ample supply of speeding camera's :devilish: and a gas price which, converted to dollars is about $6,17 a gallon. :shock:

Thanks a million :D

Greetz Rinke

welcome...why dont you edit your location and tell us where you are....

:)
chaz

Hi Chaz,

Happy?? ;)
I live in rainy sometimes sunny and mostly located below sea level Holland (the Netherlands) They didn't get that name for nothing :roll:

I got my car 3 years ago and the restauration has been underway for the better part of the last 2,5 years.
The body work is almost done, so almost time for the painter :D

Greetz Rinke

Howdy Back Rinke:

The difference in the 170 and the 200 Autolite 1100 carb is not visiable from the outside. The venturi is the narrowest part of the inside throat of the carb. The 170 has a 1.1" diameter venturi. The 200 will have a 1.2" venturi. The difference is in how much air they will flow. The 170 is rated a 156 cfm. The 200 is rated at 185 cfm. Cfm is Cubic Feet per Minute, which is a measure of capicity to flow air.

Ouch!!! on the price of gas!!! You may want to use the 170 carb.

Welcone to this Forum.

Adios, David

Back