Engine rebuild?

A

Anonymous

hey yall,
This is about my 2.8l 280z motor but the general question should apply to most engines and also my 200. I was wondering if I could save a reasonable amount of money by rebuilding my own enigne. My shop said that it would be somewhere around 1400 to do the bottom end. This includes any machining and would basicly be a full overhaul of everything. I am quessing from experience that it will turn out to be more. Or I could buy a master rebuild kit for about 600 or 700. Get the shop to do all my machining and then do the assembling my self. I have read extensively on my engine and with a detailed spec and rebuild book I think I can do it. How much money do you think I could save? Is the man hours the major cost or is machining what drives it up? Have yall succesfully done them on your 6's?
Thanks
Paul

Paul,

Honestly, I don't pay any mechanic to rebuild my engines. I just get a remanufactured one from places like www.remanufactured.com or www.hiperformer.com . They are usually much lower in price then mechanics (just shear volume) and usually have a good warranty. I started doing that after my mechanic told me it would be much cheaper to do that vice having him rebuild it.

Slade

I recently priced out doing a basic 200 rebuild doing everything I could myself to keep costs down and I figured it would cost about $800 - $1000. I even bought a rebuild kit through NAPA and prepared to take the block and head to my local machine shop to get started. Then I looked on ebay and found new engine parts much cheaper than my NAPA kit (which I ended up taking back for a full refund). I bought other people's unused new parts- pistons, rings, bearings, cam, lifters, gaskets, oil pump, timing chain, valves, seals- all new for less than $150 total. It took about 2 to 3 months to find all the right parts in the right sizes, but I got everything I needed. I only ended up with about $400 into the motor when it was done and I ended up with a few more new parts (cam, oil pump) as opposed to reconditioned than I'd first planned. So far I've fired up the engine and broken it in, all seems to be working well with no smoke, overheating, leaks, or strange noises.

200_rebuild.jpg

To me, it's about more than money. It is also about knowing that every nut and bolt has been torqued to specs, and no corners have been cut. It is also about the satisfaction of putting together something that runs, and about becoming a more proficient mechanic. :D
There's greater pride in saying, "I built myself!" 8)

I am planning the same thing only i have a good running engine in the car currently. I would like to build a Hi-Po supercharged engine myself. i will get all the machining done by professionals and then assemble it. should be lots of fun and i will probably learn a few new cursing words along the way. time is not important and if i do anything wrong, well....let's not think about that. It is also improtant to have a good mechanic who is willing to give you good advice and help you along the way.

good luck

john

bigredrosa,
I also find that extremely rewarding and usually a good enough reason to tackle most any project, but I have found that there are times when I must realize my own limitations and rely on a surer hand to do the work and get the desired results.
Thanks

First up, I'm a big fan of the torque plate. I really believe in honing each bore to suit a specific piston. There have been enough hard-to-define problems here (FSP) with rebuilds that I truly see credence in these remarks.

Even for self-assembly when adding up "infrastructure" costs, you need to be pretty well equipped to begin with. Inside mic, outside mic, good verniers, dial rig, ring filer, engine stand, transport for heavy/dirty parts, parts washer, power washer, storage space for parts in progress...

Finally: There is a heightened sense of perception in some people that is almost ESP; if you find someone like that with motors, they are mentally factoring in a whole bunch of details without really thinking about it. The way a surface acts under a cutting tool, the sound of a machine operation in progress - things such as these may point to an area for concern or other special attention. We amateurs really have not the faintest hope of touching upon these issues.

I'm not saying "don't do it", but urging to be realistic in expected outcome. And, remember half the fun is getting there!

Adam.

I personally would do all the rebuilding I could myself.
I'd do this even if it actually cost more, but it usually costs less.
The added ingredient I haven't seen mentioned is that you have the luxury of making decisions as you do the rebuild.
For instance a couple of valves may be marginal.
If you saw them you'd probably opt to replace them.
A paid rebuilder would probably 'make do' knowing you might balk at the increase in his cost.
You'd maybe replace the head bolts whereas the rebuild assumes using the old ones. The list goes on.
You also have the luxury of buying an upgrade where as a rebuilder would possibly balk at performing any activity out of the norm.
To do a rebuild I get an honest estimate.
Then I price the machining, the components and then see where I am in relation to the estimate.
I then buy needed tools and equipement which I consider an investment not a cost but make me break even with the estimate.
One or even two engines may not work very well in this world but right now I've got a rather nice assortment of tools and equipement adhereing to this principle.
You get a much better knowledge of the internals of YOUR engine.
You also are not fearful of making more drastic modifications later.
Also by doing it myself I can buy a core and rebuild it while my driver is busy being driven until the day of exchange.
Just some more thoughts on the topic.
FWIW DaveP

Back