1100 Autolite problem

mustang652

Need some help. Recently did overhaul on 3 1100s for the Offy adapter. For the the past several test runs the double diaphram one that I am going to use for my center carb has run just fine. Today while doing some linkage adjustment it started pouring gas out the airvent. Pulled it apart and checked to make sure the float was working, but did the same thing after I put it back togather. Got it apart again, but can't find anything wrong with float, needle valve or gas inlet. Anyone got any ideas of what could be causing the problem.

I have 4 autolite 1100`s .Out of the 4 only one runs right.2 of them have been rebuilt and checked over and over and still flood and cause engine to skip above idle.The only one of the 4 that will work OK is one that was on a running engine I bought.I have had nothing but trouble with them.Just like you,I can`t find a thing wrong with them.Unfortunately they are the only carb to use with loadamatic distributor.

I believe that modern fuel is quite a lot less dense than old fuels. For this reason, the old floats are now too heavy. Setting the float level lower than factory may be a quick fix.

addo":15sagrl9 said:
I believe that modern fuel is quite a lot less dense than old fuels.

Right - today's gas is blended for EFI, not for carburetion anymore. Boils faster, too, and is (partly) cause for a lot of engines suffering from vapor lock on the annual summer oldtimer meet here.

float chamber vent outlet of the 1100 is located at the highest point of the carb top. When the carb is oozing gas there, fuel is up to the roof of the float chamber. Check your float setting again.

Thanks againg, I've checked out all the suggestion and finally got the car running again. Turned out it was the brass float. It was about half full of gasoline. I had kept all the misc parts from a some junked out carbs, so I had a couple of spare floats on hand. Got most of the dry fit done. The line across the valve cover is the tempory fuel lline.
003-Topic%20Size.JPG

I've been thinking of doing the tri=power thing. What head are you using and what Offy adapter. There's two different adapters available.

I think the break down is 65-69 (C5-C9) is the round head and uses the Rectangular adapter, and the large valve 200 use one that is flat looking design. I think you can find them on the Summit web site. http://www.summitracing.com/ Part number OFY-5205 is for the early and OFY-5970 is for the later models.

Back