Distributor Caps

A

Anonymous

Has anyone seen a tranparent dizzy cap :shock: ? I've talked with some of the older guys around here and they mentioned it at one time.

I have seen transparant plug wires, but I thought they were a no no. The ones I saw had wires ending at random locations so that the spark would jump from then end of the wire back to the main passthrough wire cluster. And people quit using them for a number of reasons like
1. All that spark jumping lead to decreased spark at the plug
2. Poor insulation against them shorting out through the sides

I actually saw a pair on a non-running '53 dodge PU once and they were all cracked, and looked like cheap plastic.

Never seen or heard of transparent dizzy caps, but I would have to assume that somebody made them, and people quit using them for similar reasons.

ron

Yes, they made the transparent dist. caps, but the novelty quickly wore off and that was that.
In Henry F. lab there were actual single cylinder engines head and cylinder was made of some kind of glass crystal so flame patterns could be observed and used as a design tool.

Thad,

At A&M Galveston we had an alcohol/water glass engine. It was real cool to watch the sucker run. We would push about 65 psi of air through the system to cool it, get it running on alcohol and then experiment with a little water injection. That was just for fun to. The guy who ran the lab at the time only trusted me to play with the thing cause I was the only one who could get it running.

Later,

Jason

What about those "colour tune" kits with glass plugs? Some guys still use them, particularly when calibrating multiple carb setups.

Ron, those clear plug leads call for a plexi bonnet ("hood" to you guys). Maybe the cost of that piece was the killer!

Regards, Adam.

I was looking in my PAW catalog this weekend and came across Transparent Caps for 8 cyl Gm's by Mr Gasket. Nothing for 6 cyl Fords, but it might be a place to start looking.

What I want to watch is you spraying the cap with Windex and wiping clean while engine runs :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :roll:

Thad":1i5d8pn0 said:
What I want to watch is you spraying the cap with Windex and wiping clean while engine runs :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :roll:

and make a mpeg of it so the rest of us can see too, that would be sweet.

addo":1i5d8pn0 said:
plexi bonnet
grease is the word, staring a sexy Oz transplant, Ms. Olivia Newton-John

Okay okay okay!

:D :D :D :D :D

I get the point. It would be useless and difficult to keep nice.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

addo":3bt64kdj said:
What about those "colour tune" kits with glass plugs? Some guys still use them, particularly when calibrating multiple carb setups.

color tune kits?

I remember re-reading that response several times but I still haven't figured out what you mean by "colour tune".

I don't know, was just browsing my past posts. :roll:

They're special glass insulator spark plugs. You can see the colour of combustion in the chamber.

Back