is there supposto be a galley plug behind timing gear?

well, that's good. there's my oil preassure problem. when I built the motor, teacher said it was a drain back galley, and wasn't to be plugged. well. at least now, I know what I gotta do, put 1 there lol. I thought it odd, looking up
at the bottom end w/ the pan off, seeing the bottom of the timing chain, didn't make sense to have a drain back galley, when the chain was open on the bottom. maby I'll give myself somthing to do, pull the motor tomorrow, make the fix easier in the long run. thanks. at least now, I kno it wasn't bearing faliure.

matt,

I'm not sure what you're seeing but you shouldn't be able to see it with the oil pan off if the timing cover is still on. What you're looking for is about a 3/8" plug behind the cam sprocket that goes in horizontal. It generally gets removed to clean out the oil galley. You can get to it by taking the timing chain cover off and leaving the pan on.

drag-200stang":2a9rilun said:
matt,

I'm not sure what you're seeing but you shouldn't be able to see it with the oil pan off if the timing cover is still on. What you're looking for is about a 3/8" plug behind the cam sprocket that goes in horizontal. It generally gets removed to clean out the oil galley. You can get to it by taking the timing chain cover off and leaving the pan on.

yea I kno what you mean, remember contenplating plugging it, then teacher telling me it was a drain back. when I replaced the oil pump yesterday, I saw the timing chain, so if the chain had drain off to the pan, it would not need a drain back, that's when I questioned it.

IDK, some of the galleys on certin engines are used for drain back, so it was an honest mistake. I could have gotten the manual and dbl checked, but didn't.

Back