EFI from Jeep to Mustang?

Zypher

This might be crazy but I have a 1987 jeep wagoneer with EFI and it is a straight six. Would there be any chance of taking out the EFI and put it on my 1966 200 straight six mustang or am I just crazy? The jeep is a 4.0l engine but heck I think it would be cool. And by saying this I am in no way saying I have the skills required to do this. I just want to know if it would be possible.

In theory yes - the air requirements for both engines should be quite similar, so the throttle body ought to be compatible. You will likely need some kind of an adaptor plate to bolt the TB to the Ford.

I think the most difficult thing would be to correct the tuning - you may need to get a Jeep dealer to tune it. The wire harness will also need to be fitted.

Personally I think this would be an easy swap!
If I recall both motors have the same firing order!
It would be just a matter of finding the correct spots for the sensors, hooking up power/grounds, totally redoing the fuel system, and getting the distributor to work right.
There's a little more to it than that, but it wouldn't be to difficult.
Later,
Will

As always with old stuff the head is the problem. You still need a place to mount the injectors. You would have to find a way to mount the intake or machine your head for the injectors. Once you have that much work into just the head and injectors you will have enough invested that there are likely better parts out there than the jeep ones. With the number of jeeps out there if it was even close to a direct fit there would be info and people out there that have done it. Isn't the jeep a cross flow? Last one I worked on was in the dark so I dont remember the details. If the spacing on the intake ports is the same you may have a start, if its different I doubt there would be any point in starting with jeep parts vs. anything else.

I wondered if the Howell TBI would be a good solution. I used one on my GMC motorhome and considered using one for a CJ-7 but it had too many problems and got sold.

Stephen

Ya I was assuming the Classic Inlines head. Just drill some injector bungs in the bosses provided and install it!

The log head would be more difficult.
Will

Does10s":3kso8k12 said:
Ya I was assuming the Classic Inlines head. Just drill some injector bungs in the bosses provided and install it!

The log head would be more difficult.
Will

8) accell does, or did, sell injector bungs that could be welded to any intake to allow for port fuel injection on any engine you choose. i think one of the megasquirt builders also sells the bungs. it would be a simple matter of drilling the needed holes, and having the bungs welded in, and then fabricating a fuel rail.

This is a step I hadn't thought about in my earlier reply - I guess the Jeep rig is a TPI system, not a TBI.

I'm thinking fuel injection also for my sysem, with port injection being a better choice in my opinion.

Would you weld the bungs or braze them? I would think that with a cast head brazing would be better and since there's no real stress on the joints, a proper braze should hold up just fine. Also, if you're not a welder, brazing is easier to learn and the equipment is far cheaper.

I'll likely end up with the MegaSquirt system as well, primarily because by the time you're done with a kit like that, you know everything about the system and soldering up PCB's like that is pretty simple really. The real hurdle to cross is language. Also, the software to access the controller is available, which may be a problem with OEM units. If you do this, make sure you have a clean, common ground for the vehicle and that all the required grounds are grounded to it cleanly and solidly. You do not want to chase ground loops and ghost signals.

8) weld or braze, in this case as long as the seal is solid, it makes no difference. pin hole leaks will drive you nuts trying to figure out a vacuum leak though.

i was thinking a inline 4 ford setup might be worth looking into

the throttle body probably still uses the 2300 2bbl bolt parrern the earlier carbed intakes had right?

i could never really find any good details on the web foir it though. aparently they only made the non-urbo FI I4 for 2-3 years

There's always the old GM TBI systems. With a little work one of those of the proper size would probably be adapted to just about any engine that can mount a 2 barrel carb. Since a bunch of folks have found ways to modify their small six intake logs for 2 barrel carbs, this shouldn't be all that much more work for a somebody who knows how to fit the sensors, wire it up and tune a controller of some sort.

There are companies that specialize in conversions of that sort for other engines which might be able to provide some of the bits and pieces to help put the system together.

Here is a link to a web site for a company some of you may not have found so far. Interesting info here.

Wedgeparts: Triumph TR8 GM throttle body fuel injection (TBI) conversion

250mav":3v24ay8o said:
i was thinking a inline 4 ford setup might be worth looking into

the throttle body probably still uses the 2300 2bbl bolt parrern the earlier carbed intakes had right?

i could never really find any good details on the web foir it though. aparently they only made the non-urbo FI I4 for 2-3 years

8) what i keep suggesting is using three tempo throttle bodies like you would three one barrel carbs, except that you can run them all the time rather than try and run them as progressive carbs. this will give you the airflow the small six needs.

I found out why the tempo throttle body is almost a direct fit on the 200. The 2.5 HSC (high swirl chamber) tempo engine was based on the 200. I wonder if the 200's are HSC also? With EFI & high swirl you are supposed to be able to run a real lean mixture. I plan to find out in the spring when I do an Megasquirt / Tempo on my 200. I have one running on my caddy now.

There are a fair number of threads in the EFI section regarding efi on the 'small blocks'

fordconvert":2s1a6y7w said:
I found out why the tempo throttle body is almost a direct fit on the 200. The 2.5 HSC (high swirl chamber) tempo engine was based on the 200. I wonder if the 200's are HSC also? With EFI & high swirl you are supposed to be able to run a real lean mixture. I plan to find out in the spring when I do an Megasquirt / Tempo on my 200. I have one running on my caddy now.

There are a fair number of threads in the EFI section regarding efi on the 'small blocks'

200s are not HSC heads. The HSC was an evolution of the 200 combustion chamber though.

wallaka":3eff81w3 said:
200s are not HSC heads. The HSC was an evolution of the 200 combustion chamber though.

I figured there was not much chance they cared about such a thing in the 60's. :(

Tempo was 2.3L, Taurus was 2.5L. HSC combustion chamber was an evolution of the small six architecture. The reason the Tempo throttle body fits in place of a 1V carb is because that's exactly what it was designed to do. The 1984 Tempo and Topaz came with a feedback Holley carb based on the old Holley 1V. Holley then made the TB to be bolted in place of the carb on same manifold for the '85 and '86 model years.

doesn't someone make an aftermarket TBI for the jeep 6? I saw it somewhere, with a pice near $1000

Back