mileage vs engine size

A

Anonymous

just wondering what kind of mileage yall are gettin with what engines

around 20 mpg combined freeway and city. It really changes depending on how hard I drive. It will vary as much as 16-23.

really I thought it would have done better than that I had a S-10 Blazer with a 350 in it with a 700r4 that was getting that kind of mileage not braggin I just thought the 170 would do better

8) fuel economy depends on many things, not just engine displacement. an engines power curve, gearing, vehicle weight, etc all have an effect. for example, the original 289 in my 66 mustang got 15 around town and 21 on the road. after i rebuilt the engine and installed a bit more cam, mileage jumped to 17-19 around town and 26 on the road. remember that engine power has to overcome the vehicles weight to get rolling, and it has to overcome friction and aerodynamics to keep the car rolling. while 75hp is adequate to get a falcon or mustang rolling down the road, you need to apply less throttle pressue with an engine that makes say 120hp in the same rpm range because the engine isnt working as hard.

And my mom's old Falcon with a 200 straight-six got around 30mpg all the time... But our '80s Fairmonts only got around 23mpg.

I have an 05 Dodge magnum with the 5.7 hemi. A few months ago it got rear ended and spent a month in the shop. During that time I had a 07 300 with the 3.5 HO v6. As far as I know and could tell they are pretty much the same car. If anything I would think the magnum is heavier. I also carry a fair amount of tools and junk when I have the space which I didnt have in the 300. Around town if I am not driving crazy I pretty much hang around 19. On 55 mph trips I have seen it as high as 29. If I drive like a maniac I have got it down to 14. The month I drove the 300 I got 16 out of my first tank around town. I though it just may have been the way I was driving it so the next tank I tried to drive 'nice' and got 17. I did do one out of town run that I have done many times before that usually gets me around 23 and I got 20.

Thats not a huge spread unless you compare the performance. I would rate the V6 as barely adequate. A uphill freeway ramp was a bit on the slow side and passing over 55 really stunk. On the other hand the 5.7 has excess power most of the time. Uphill ramps are no problem and passing even at 75 is not a problem.

I dont drive the mustang enough to get an idea what that does and my caddy with the worn out engine and carb pretty much hangs around 13. Have not got enough miles on it since the EFI but it did seem better and Im only in the early stages of tuning.

My 80 Mustang sedan gets around 25 highway and 18 city, but those are Canadian (bigger then US) gallons. I switched to 89 octane a month ago to cure a slight ping, and mileage and driveability improved. The motor is stock with a dynomax muffler and KN air filter. Still has the cat but the metal piles that circulated air to the exhaust have been removed.

Hey Max, do you have alcohol in your fuels up there? If so is it in all grades? year round? In the summer stations here have the option to sell a premium grade (typically 92) that does not contain the current 10% ethanol. Many times that can solve all sorts of drivability problems in older cars and increase mileage. Many people think its because of the octane but its the lack of alcohol that does the trick.

my 200 in a 65 falcon four door with probably about 200lbs of crap apart from me in the car, 2 inch exhaust with cherry bomb glasspack, pertronix igntion and coil gets about 22mpg in city\highway mix but highway kills it because of the 13 inch tires.

Below are the results I got with the New Aluminum Cylinder Head when I did the Hot Rod 2007 Power Tour. My signature shows what I'm running.

Trip Stats
Best MPG - 25.05
Worst MPG - 14.97
Average MPG - 20.81
Average Miles Per Tank - 163.956
Max Miles Per Tank - 270.6
Total Miles - 2623.3

Bill

A couple of companies offer ethanol in their fuels, year round, all grades. I haven't used it in the Mustang. I actually went back to regular (87 octane) today, and the ping is back. So it seems that mid grade takes care of things for about 25 cents more a gallon then regular. I've done the math, I can afford it. I may be going to a Weber 38 in a couple of months. It will be interesting to see how that affects mileage, compared to the Holley 1946.

I get about 23-25 in my '75 Maverick,
stock 200(w/MSD blaster coil/duraspark)
3 spd manual
stock rear(2.79 or 3.00.Haven't looked)
mostly highway driving.
I get about 17-20 in mt '93 f150 swb 2wd,
stock 300(w/rear cat removed,otherwise stock exhaust)
5spd manual
3.08 rear
all around driving
I get 14-18 in my '72 Comet,
5.0 roller,b303 cam,8011 Weiand/holley 600,MSD 6A
stock manifolds w/2" duals,h-pipe
stock 3.00 rear
c4 w/shift kit,stock converter
all around driving

i can pull mid 20's on the freeway but im only in the mid-teens in stop and go around town traffic

ive got a 250/c4/2.78 rear with a h/w5200 2bbl

Back