DuraSpark or DUI?

63FuturaRag

I'm a Falcon I6 200 newbie. I see plenty of talk about the DuraSpark electronic ignition but hardly anything about the DUI. It appears from a newbie's perspective, that the one-stop-shop everything-contained-in-one DUI would be easier to install. Any opinions on this topic? If this has been brought up before I apologize.

It's a lot of money for one single item, compared to what many people are used to be paying.

Store prices for new/rebuilt parts and a re-curve to a DuraSpark, actually come close when all the accessories are factored in. Because many people build up a DSII rig piecemeal, they don't see validity of this comparison at the outset.

As a greasy-fingered person, I personally like the modular DIY aspect of conventional setups. Others prefer the clean look of an all-in-one package that comes with a full warranty.

Regards, Adam.

By all accounts the DUI is a quality item that is properly setup and tested. You cant say that for anything you find in the junkyard or typical parts stores now days. A word of warning, its based on a GM design so as long as that does not bother you and you are not afraid of the price go for it. Some people freak out when they find out a replacement cap is for a Chevy motor. To other people this is a good thing because every parts store stocks all the parts for a chevy distributor.

part of it is also the fact that the DUI is a relatively new piece of equipment, so you don't get people talking it up so people just don't really think about it when they're upgrading

when i first upgraded my ignition, no one was really talking about the DSII (from my research), but i was hearing a lot of stuff about the Petronix system
i honestly can't remember the last time i read about someone installing a Petronix system in their six
it goes in cycles

8) both systems are solid reliable systems. the DUI is expensive, but it is unique and self contained. the duraspark requires a separate module to run the system. if i had the money i would pop for a DUI to help clean up the wiring, and eliminate clutter in the engine compartment.

If you find the price of the DUI unattractive but yearn for its potential in terms of function.

How about a duraspark II distributor, gm module, tfi coil? Can find the DYI on a search.

About the same thing, less increased dwell and doesnt have the billet shaft, although alot cheaper and the durspark isnt exactly unreliable. Is kinda ugly though when cobbled together, although that can be overcome by creativity. :)

I've had both and currently have the DUI installed. It's expensive, especially when you buy the matching wires. But it works awesome and I immediately noticed an improvement over my DSII.

On the other hand, I suppose that if I had re-curved my DSII and added an excellent set of wires and the right coil, I would have probably gotten about the same result. Someone here ended up buying my DSII setup for a fraction of what it cost me at AutoZone, by the way, so there are opportunities to be had.

Conisder your overall goals for your motor and your budget to make that happen. If you have enough dough for the headers, headwork, cam, carb and DUI, then that's the way to go. If you need to save a little here and there to make it all happen, the DSII won't let you down.

PS. You can setup the DSII with the GM module, and the special module that the DUI uses is not terribly expensive.

inline300":x9kwv582 said:
If you find the price of the DUI unattractive but yearn for its potential in terms of function.

How about a duraspark II distributor, gm module, tfi coil? Can find the DYI on a search.

About the same thing, less increased dwell and doesnt have the billet shaft, although alot cheaper and the durspark isnt exactly unreliable. Is kinda ugly though when cobbled together, although that can be overcome by creativity. :)

iirc Mraley had a DS2 with a TFI and a MSD box, but he still gained a few hp when switching to a DUI.

And, I have yet to see the thread that says "Hey, I hooked up the one wire on my DUI, been fooling with it for days, and I can't seem to get it to work!"

iirc Mraley had a DS2 with a TFI and a MSD box, but he still gained a few hp when switching to a DUI.

Id be interested in the theory as to why that happened. On paper, there is little to no difference in each combination of parts. Although, if using a GM module, theres about a $200+ difference.

I'm at a loss to explain how a DUI could produce more horsepower than a DSII with MSD. Especially since the DSII in Mike Raley's car was professionally recurved.

The DUI is a nice piece of equipment, (billet, one wire, and coil in cap) but it doesn't do anything that a DSII doesn't do.

Running the DSII with a MSD does increase spark so it should produce more power than either a standard DSII or a DUI.

There are other variables that could explain a horse power increase from one dyno run to another, especially when the runs are several months apart as in the case of Mike Raley's DUI install.

Money, if you can afford the DUI do it. I'm not sure how much better if any it is over the DSII. I just did the DSII swap, junk yard distributor $30, DYNA Module $120 with S&H, $50 MSD Balster II coil, and $30 new wires. And another $20 on misc. and i'm sitting at $250. The DUI kit is around $500. BTW you can buy the GM module in place of the DYNA module and save even more. Finally lets not forget the warm fuzzy feeling you get inside when you do it all your self.

Chris

Cost is a big issue. I did my DSII swap for about $60. Got lucky and found a freshly junked low-miles '81 Granada (Not too many left here in Chicago) and pulled the whole distributor, module, and wires out. The guy hit me for about $55 for the whole setup. Couple that with a wiring diagram printed off the internet and some terminals, solder, and shrink wrap, it runs about $60. If I read that right, you're in Tennesee. There's a lot more old cars down there than up here, so you might be able to pick up the parts from the boneyard a lot cheaper.

blaster II sounds like rip off.

durapark dizzy fresh reman was 50 when I did the conversion
gm module was 15 brand new
tfi module was 25 brand new

scrap heat sink and some wire, bam, improved ignition.

Here's my thoughts on it.

If money is an issue, then I'd go with the DSII, however for $50 bucks I would purchase a rebuilt unit. A used dizzy may have a lot of miles on it, and a worn bushing can cause top end timing fluctuations. Next, I would use the Dyna module (and coil), as it has more dwell than the GM module (see comments below). Flash_point did a nice job installing and wiring his DSII with the Dyna module. It looks great.
http://classicinlines.com/images/Tech_i ... I/DS13.JPG
Complete article
http://classicinlines.com/DSII_swap2.asp

If money isn't an issue, then I'd go with the DUI. At first, it looks out of place because it's so much bigger than the stock or DSII dizzy. But once it's in there for a while, it looks right at home. Nowdays, when I look at a stock dizzy, or the DSII, they look out of place. :)

The DUI is very easy to wire up and very clean, and it looks like a performance distributor when compared to the other two. Plus it's billet, instead of cast, and has a full length bushing. Service parts are cheap and readily available.

I wouldn't even consider the Petronics, unless I was trying to keep a pure stock appearance.

Bottom line, it's all a matter of preferance, and cost. Either one is a huge improvement over the stock dizzy. We are currently trying to set up an account with the company that rebuilds and supplies the DSII dizzy, so we can offer them at a better price, along with the Dyna modules.

What is a Dyna Module, and why is it better?

A few forum members have stated that a stock GM HEI will perform just as well as the DUI, and that a DSII wired to a multi-spark ignition box (such as the MSD) will perform better. This is incorrect. Multi-spark ignition systems utilize an external capacitive discharge, while the DUI incorporates a high dwell Dyna module, which increases the coil saturation time. As a result the DUI coil produces a single long duration spark, as compared to multiple sparks, which has been proven to improve throttle response and low end power. The longer saturation time, along with the 50,000 volt coil, also allow the plug gaps to be opened up to .055". Whereas stock GM HEI ignitons, and many multi-spark boxes, recommend a gap no larger than .045". On top of this the DUI coil and module only draw 2-3 amps, rather than the 6-10 amps, which results in reduced coil temperatures. Therefore the DUI not only makes more power than the GM HEI, or a multi-spark ignition system, it's more reliable.

When purchasing replacement parts for the DUI, you can use stock GM HEI parts such as the module, coil, cap and rotor, which can be found at any local auto parts store. While the stock GM module will get you running in case of a breakdown, it will not provide the same performance as the Dyna module.

Mike, i agree with you on the DUI. In a 415" small block chevy i had the DUI out performed a curved HEI that was previously in the engine.
I believe their module with their coil are the reason there is a performance gain.
Mike, does your DUI come with the nylon screws that hold the rotor to the advance shaft mount???
Also you stock some DUI's for sale, do you know how much centrifigul advance is in your units???
If anyone deals with performance distributors direct & requests a specific curve, you can still purchase the unit from Mike & performance distributors will drop ship the unit to you.
Correct me if i am wrong.
Performance distributors is a great company to deal with. I have purchased many of their products & you actually deal with a real person who knows the product they sell.
It seems like the distributor gear wear problem has quieted down or am i wrong????
If anyone does have gear wear, pull your oil pump & i bet you find scoring of the internal parts, both myself & Will-does10's found insufficient internal clearance in the melling oil pumps.
If there is concern in the pump area, we can start a new thread & both myself & Will-does10's can give you the problems we found & the fix. Bill

aahsac":3dihzglp said:
And, I have yet to see the thread that says "Hey, I hooked up the one wire on my DUI, been fooling with it for days, and I can't seem to get it to work!"
Well, maybe nobody's said those exact words, but DUI installs have had their share of threads/issues, like:
"Hey, my DUI:
sheared off the distributor gear-teeth,
melted its cap/rotor/coil,
makes a grinding noise,
needs a relay to feed it,
doesn't like a relay feeding it,
and made so much EMI noise that the radio was useless.
And not to be picky, but a DUI also doesn't fit into an early Econoline without using a BFH. :LOL:

Not tryin' to slam anybody or anything, but neither system is a perfect bolt-in and go (nothing is).

Overall, I think Mike (azcoupe) is on target with his comments.

Back