Is the Industrial 250 compatable with the auto 250?

Hi,

I have a 1973 Ford 250ci industrial with a C4 in my Bombadier Sidewalk Plow.

The motor is pretty beat up and burns a lot of oil (1 quart per hour). I only run it about 300 miles a year and I want to rebuild it before it blows and I am getting my shopping list together.

I was wondering if the head from the auto 250's are compatable with the industrials? Are the other basic specs the same?

I haven't been able to find much info about this motor, even though it is a beater is The Ford Falcon Six Cylinder Performance Handbook worthwhile for my application?

Thanks in advance

harvey":2bdphrq6 said:
.... even though it is a beater is The Ford Falcon Six Cylinder Performance Handbook worthwhile for my application? ......
I'm the sort of fellow that would buy the book and do some of the little improvements detailed therein; truth be told, your 250 really wouldn't care, it probably just wants some rings, bearings, and a valve job.

The internal parts are the same.
Joe

the handbook has lots of useful info such as retrofitting the 250 into the earlier cars,different carb info,retro fitting other trans,which factory parts are the best.....

Howd yBack Harvey:

And welcome to the Forum. I've seen and heard of a few industrial engines- even one snow trail packer, which may be similar to yours.

Q- "I was wondering if the head from the auto 250's are compatable with the industrials? Are the other basic specs the same?"

A- Yes, the heads are compatible and interchangeable. Most have the typical casting code such as C9DE. The third digit refers to the use. In the example the "D" refers to Falcon. FoMoCo did use a "J" to indicate an industrial application, but not always. The areas of greatest variations are the front- water pump and pulley system and the back. Some variation if oil pans too. All else seems to be typical Ford six stuff. I'd be curious as to the casting codes on your engine as well as details like, what carb, distributor and oil pan configuration.

I'm guessing that the use for this engine is relatively slow, steady type work, with a fairly steady load. Is that about right.

Again, welcome.

Adios, David

Back