MPGmustang engine build (Completed)

MPGmustang

1K+
VIP
i'm swaping my engine out, http://fivestarengines.com/home.html can give me a stock engine build for $750 long block. any year that i want it. so i'll go with the 78-79 head and bottom. i'll be adding my own cam, and requesting a 9.3 CR for it, other than those 2 requests it's going to be stock. this is my daily driver, but i want to add some more fun to the fun i already have with it.

now what i don't know, cause i'm still figuring these things out:

the 78 bottom is factory 0-decked right? how would i go about to achive a 9.3 CR?

I want the cam to be beefy! i'm thinking 264/274? i would like a lop in the idle, what's a good lobe degree? i was thinking 110*

as this is my last drivetrain upgrade i hope to do it right, cause it's the most important topic of this entire forum.

the rest of the build will have my sig.

Thanks in advance
Richard

[quoteMPGmustang]the 78 bottom is factory 0-decked right? how would i go about to achive a 9.3 CR?

I want the cam to be beefy! i'm thinking 264/274? i would like a lop in the idle, what's a good lobe degree? i was thinking 110*[/quote]

The 78 bottom end is pretty far from zero decked. I had the machine shop take at least .025 off the block on my build and it still had a .005 deck height.

My '78 had very little clearance, about .024 give or take.
Flat top pistons will help get the CR up there.

My '78 motor had about .025 removed if I remember right. The machinist recommended we leave .005 deck height just to be safe. If you use dished pistons make sure they cc the dish as replacement pistons can have a different dish than factory. You'll also want to account for the compressed thickness of the headgasket as the new composite type gaskets are thicker than the original steel shim gaskets. It should be easy to get to 9.3 without taking too much off the head if you zero deck the block and use the Tempo HSC flat tops.

The cam you've picked out sounds like a winner depending on what transmission you are going to use. You'll probably want a little more lobe separation with an automatic, like 112*. Make sure they degree it when they install it to ensure its accurate. Some people here have their cams installed a little advanced to move the powerband up, so thats an option for you to consider.

Also, what carb will you be using? If you plan on going 2v like a Weber or something you might want to have the head modified for direct mount while its off. If I could do my build over again I would do that.

I had 0.030" removed from my block and the pistons stick about 0.005" out of it. But with a 0.045 thick HG it should be OK.

Howdy MPG and All:

some thoughts- in general.
*On deck clearance- every engine will be slightly different. Most 200s with the OEM steel shim head gasket are around .025". Sometimes more, seldom less.
*For mileage, higher cylinder pressure are better. Hence more compression, but a cam with more duration lessens cylinder pressure. For MPG, I'd reccommend a a 260 - 264 degree cam, on both intake and exhaust.
*Dished pistons generally get better combustion efficiency than flat-topped pistons in an engine with a wedged shaped combustion chamber.
*Over-bore, aftermarket pistons typically come with an additional .005" of pin height as compared to stock, OEM piston.
*With available head gaskets in the .045" to .055" thickness, zero deck height is a reasonable, safe goal. These dimensions are still too great to optimize quench, but reducing deck height is more advantagious to combustion efficiency than by milling the head to increase the compression ratio.

That's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Adios, David

well as i'm getting yay's and nay's... here's the one i'm looking at:
264D-110: 264/274 - 214/224 - .450/.450 - 110* - 1600-5200

i'm not going for MPG in this build but a balance of both
i'll be keeping my 4cyl t5 behind the engine, so i don't think i'll need the 112* but what do u guy's think? if i'm looking for lopey...
i don't know what to expect on the engine block, but if it was stock, i'd just take off .075 from the head and should be able to reach 9.3 CR with a felpro gasket... i'll confirm that when i get home today.

i'll call and ask for details on the pistons too, good thing to check up on.
just incase ppl wanted some of my specs on the car....

4cyl t5
3.27 rear end
205/70/14 tires
goal would to have the main power from 2200-4500 for perfect highway speeds, but enough to cruze around town at lower rpm's too.

i'll be ordering this soon, along with my pony carb adaptor :D
"I'm so excited!!!" -Mole Atlantis 2001

For a street car I'd suggest the double roller chain advanced 4 degrees.
I have the 112LC version and it's a bit slow with my 3.08 rear.
But it has a great top end!

so i finally called five star and got some info...

I can get any 200 block and head for my engine, straight swap + $750, and extra for the milling/porting

these guy's have done I6's before even done the 2bbl conversions, so i'll stick with them as they know what they are doing...

this engine will flow almost as good as an OZ250-2v so i'm luck'n out on saving money there...

will have
Product ID: CSC-264-HDP-10
264/274 w/.450 lift and 110* lobe

and the pony vapoizor adaptor.. :)

i'm roughly 2-3 months away from going to the shop... getting the cam this/next week

what do you guy's think...

PS, Thanks Mike for the New Flow chart!!!
http://www.fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62208

Edit: oh and the bottom end will be fully stock, so dished pistons yes
Edit: I jsut found out my rings are smoking 200% worse after a long hilly drive, so it'll be soone... well time for dyno

well i'm speeding this up.

i have all the parts and most importantly the $.

i'm getting a port divider for the exh
Thinking about a few other things... like timing chain and exhaust i like the idea

Thanks!! hope to order this week so info will be most appreciated.

Richard

Edit: Spelling
Edit: i'm a horrible editor

For the price, this sounds like a really good deal. I'll be interested to see how it turns out. From the posts, it sounds like you're able to specify exactly what you want from them. Why the 78 bottom? For belhousing/tranny options? I've moved recently and my Falcon Handbook is buried who-knows-where...

Thanks,

so here is a list of the changes i've made...

ARP ROD bolt kit
Street strip Balancer
SI Port Flow Vavle set 1.75int & 1.5exh
302-hp springs
Dual Roller Timing Chain Set
Dual Out Header Package w/long hot air tube.
CSC 264-274 110*
1.5-1.75 carb adaptor.

Specs on engine will be
79 head and Block
exhaust port 3&4 will be separated
9.3 CR
cam 4*

You think that the Pony Carb can handle the requirements that this engine will demand? I'm sure that will i'll be weezzing at higher RPM.

Edit: Perry, the 79 bottom because they won't have to mil the head/block as much, probably .050 instead of .075-.090, I'm not sure on exact i'll have to relook it up in the book also. giving it longer life, at least that's my theory.

Thanks for you input

Richard
Edit: said head bolt but was corrected and needed rod bolts...

If you plan on high-rpm'ing it, I'd suggest you go with the valve springs that Mike recommends with the cam.
That would probably be of the type that has a damper spring as well. And these would/should come with the correct retainers.

I don't know about the Pony carb, but I have the 264/274/112 with a Holley 1946 w/larger jet, fully modified head, cam installed straight up.
And yes it does start to wheeze out, at about 120mph :!: :LOL:
At that point I'm more concerned about tires than rpms....

jack, Yup Yup! Mike said to get the 302-HP one's the build shop even said that the stock retainers should work fine, lol 120mph... (y)

I have a holley 1946 too! but the pony i'm more partial with because it has the SCV, some time's i wish i got the one without the SCV, then i'd probably would try to squeeze the DUI in some how... :roll:

What's your current MPG if i mght ask. Thanks

Richard

I like this recipe... Is Five Star doing the complete build on this?
Are you having the parts drop shipped to them?

Thanks

ARP head bolt kit
Street strip Balancer
SI Port Flow Vavle set 1.75int & 1.5exh
302-hp springs
Dual Roller Timing Chain Set
Dual Out Header Package w/long hot air tube.
CSC 264-274 110*
1.5-1.75 carb adaptor.

Specs on engine will be
79 head and Block
exhaust port 3&4 will be separated
9.3 CR
cam 4*

1966Mustang":1ekwpist said:
I like this recipe... Is Five Star doing the complete build on this?
Are you having the parts drop shipped to them?

Perry, 5 star engine exchange is here in town, so i'm saving shipping :) they are doing the complete build besides the porting, Mike is hooking me up. I like this recipe too, wonder what it'll turn out to be ;)

well i'll be getting 78 head and block, they didn't have any 79's... oh well...

Head is off with Mike and his machinist getting ported then i'll give it back to 5star for assembly.

Can't wait to see that this combo pulls... with a stock look.

PS: I'm waiting for headers as they are on back-order, so i'll be very happy to break her in properly then add the last peice before any heavy acceleration. does anyone have a link to for proper break in?

update: Well it's moving along fast, Thanks Mike!, the Head is beautifully ported with new valve guides, the shop will install the larger valves and cc the chambers to mil it to 9.3 CR...

hoping to have it back this weekend...

Back