CI OEM replacement exhaust system install

69Falcon

So a few weeks ago my cobbled together exhaust rusted out and split, right in front of the muffler. And I still had a 2.5 hour drive, with the wife and kids, in the snow, to get home. Needless to say, I figured it was time to get a new exhaust. Do I go with headers, maybe a dual out, and start hopping up my six? Or leave it bone stock? While I was under the car, I found a nice big rust hole on the inner wall of the quarter panel. Coupled with all the other rust spots starting to show up, I realized my bird was due for a trip to the body shop, which as we all know equals $$. So for now, the exhaust would be a stock replacement. I called Mike over at Classic Inlines and placed my order. I went with WAE-200-RSA

The parts came in, clearly labeled. Front pipe, rear pipe, muffler, tailpipe and a box of hangers and clamps. Today my son and I took off the old rotted pipes, and compared them to what we have; here you can see the difference. First off, the old pipe required the use of the "donut", but the flange and mounting bracket of the new pipe apparently eliminates the need for this. The other pictures compare the the respective pipes. We ran out of time due to needing the old stuff soak in PB Blaster, and the fact that we're doing this in the driveway in 40 degree weather.

Old style donut
New flange
Comparing front pipes
Comparing rear pipes and mufflers

Overall, I like the quality so far, seems to be bent to proper shape, the price was very good, and was packaged extremely well. More updates to follow.

First off, the old pipe required the use of the "donut", but the flange and mounting bracket of the new pipe eliminates the need for this.
Or so I thought. It won't bolt up tight, and will leak like a sieve. I've called Mike at CI for advice on how to proceed, and will let you guys know how it turns out.

EDIT #1: As usual, Mike's customer service is spot on. We just got off the phone, and since he's on the road, he gave me the manufacturer's name and number and I've reached out to them. The receptionist took my info so she could pull the order and I'm waiting on a call back from a tech.

EDIT #2: Spoke to the manufacturer, they double checked the part numbers and realized they sent me the wrong one. Their customer service was pretty good, they were very apologetic, and they're going to ship me a new one and will have it here by Tuesday.

EDIT #3: Well the manufacturer shipped it out 2-day instead of next-day, but not the end of the world. The exhaust is in, has a nice burble to it. Haven't had a chance to take it out on the highway yet to check for droning. (Busy installing bucket seats.) Overall the install was pretty straightforward, and the customer service from both Mike and his supplier have been impeccable. I'll be posting pics over the next couple of days. (y)

I love good customer service, I like it more when others receive the same great customer service...

How is the sound of the new system compared to the old?

Back