msd blaster 2- do i need a ballast reistor?

cherrybomber

hey Guys,

i have an msd 6 and was thinking of getting the msd blaster coil2. will i be needing to get the set with the resistor?

im running stock points at the moment.

go to o'reilly and ask for a distributor for a 78 granada to get a duraspark, they are only like 40 bux and well worth it, points suck and can only handle so much power

You dont need a resistor when using the msd box. It does not matter how you are triggering the box either way no resistor. The box does what the resistor did and much more. They are cool boxes. I have one. Not quite convinced I need one on all my engines but I do like it. Be sure to have the power off when you are tinkering around with them, they bite hard!

fordconvert":14fkoa4g said:
You dont need a resistor when using the msd box. It does not matter how you are triggering the box either way no resistor. The box does what the resistor did and much more. They are cool boxes. I have one. Not quite convinced I need one on all my engines but I do like it. Be sure to have the power off when you are tinkering around with them, they bite hard!

8) not true. if the coil comes with a ballast resistor, then you need to install it. otherwise you wont need one.

The ballast resistor is used as a current limiting device in a conventional points system. When you install something like a MSD6 box the current limiting is done electronically so there is no need to do it with something like a resistor. It may not hurt anything in this case because as long as the box 'sees' power on the former coil + wire which was the one with the resistor in it the box will stay on. I would imagine the concern is that if the system voltage surged low for some reason that with the resistor in it may drop low enough that the box thinks you turned the key off. The box gets its actual power direct from battery, its just using the old coil wire to tell it when the key is on or off. How you trigger the box ( points or duraspark ) does not matter either as far as the resistor goes. The coil then has its own 2 wires coming out of the box that do not connect to anything else.

If in doubt the directions are always handy.

Page 5 of the installation instructions for the MSD6 series.
"Ballast Resistor: If your vehicle has a ballast resistor in line with the coil wiring, it is recommended to bypass it"
Page 10 picture Points style ignition
"Note: Ballast resistor is not necessary"
Page 17 and 18 show the two methods of Duraspark hookup
http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedFile ... ctions.pdf

Fordconvert,

You are absolutely correct. I got my information off the FAQs bonus points and I misread what they were saying. They said if you use a blaster coil with a points system, you need the resistor. I read it as if you are using points with the MSD control unit, you need the resistor - which is not true. Sorry. Sucks getting old...

drag-200stang":pp996pbe said:
Fordconvert,

You are absolutely correct. I got my information off the FAQs bonus points and I misread what they were saying. They said if you use a blaster coil with a points system, you need the resistor. I read it as if you are using points with the MSD control unit, you need the resistor - which is not true. Sorry. Sucks getting old...
Beats the alternative by a long shot. I figure if I wake up in the morning, it's a good day, even if I can't remember what I did yesterday.

Back