PCV valve placement

1961 Futura

When I swap out the ‘68 170 in my ‘61, I want to dress the ‘65 200 as a 144. The 144 valve cover has no provision for a PCV valve, but the ‘65 block still has the cast-in provision for a road-draft tube. Is there any reason I can’t remove the freeze plug in the road-draft spot and put the PCV valve there? On road-draft equipped engines was the fresh-air intake still via the oil fill?

Thanks,

Dave

It wouldn't be a good idea to mount a pcv valve into the road draft tube opening . Here's how the PCV system [the valve was called a "regulator valve" then] was plumbed on a '61 . http://falconfaq.dyndns.org/display1.ph ... Page=1-004
http://falconfaq.dyndns.org/display1.ph ... Page=1-014
The valve screwed into the carb adapter plate and the hose ran to an "adapter" which was inserted into the draft tube opening [note the instruction not to insert more than 1/2"] .
There is no baffle in that location and a valve mounted there would frequently/constantly draw in oil and cause exhaust smoke . I don't think that pcv valve is widely available but you might be able to find a screw-in valve to use . For a less than original appearance but functional you could place a valve inline into the hose at least 8"-10" from the adaptor , preferably as close to the carb adapter plate as possible . On both systems , the air inlet is the oil fill cap .

good goin oldgrezmonke, an over 50 y/o 300 page manuel!
Old school AND new came together for this one...
('our' rigs & the 'puters).

BTW: Y do they need a crankcase breather, or whatever that thing is?
Keep the oil pan from blowin off? If it goes back in thru the 'top end' Y aint it pressurized again/still?
Seems like a closed system - this all from a fella w/no automotive theory.

Oops, why didn’t I realize this was in the manual? I’ll scope out my shop manual when I get home for more detail, but at a glance, it looks like the PCV valve on a ‘61 is plumbed into an “exhaust tube” the road-draft spot on the block (the “crankcase outlet” in figure 20), but the valve itself is way up by the carburetor rather than down on the crankcase outlet as I had envisioned. Thus, the exhaust tube acts as the baffle that prevents too much oil from being sucked out of the crankcase.

The later style is considerably simpler, though, I must say. You can tell the early system was a stopgap response to the change in emissions laws in California and the voluntary changeover adopted the next year by the AMA.

Chad, to answer your question, all crankcases are pressurized. If you don’t vent it, the pressure will find its way out through a gasket, with an accompanying oil leak. Early cars (pre-1961) typically used a road-draft tube that used the venturi effect to siphon blow by out of the crank case when the car was in motion. In 1961 California mandated a more enclosed system, and in 1962 the industry adopted the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system voluntarily because in reality, it’s a better system than the road draft tube: It’s cleaner and it does a better job of evacuating the pressure.

I say a “more enclosed” system, because fresh air is still drawn in from a breather somewhere, and sometimes oil mist and blow by will escape from there. Later in the ‘60s California mandated that the fresh air intake be routed through a filter element in the air cleaner to further enclose the system.

As far as not reducing pressure, I don’t fully understand how it works, but I do know that’s why there’s a spring-loaded valve and not just an open hose.

-Dave

WOW, I knew Cal was mandating automotive engineering in the early/mid '70s (pollution), didn't know it was at it in the early '60s.
PVC in '62, humph. I didn't start timkerin till mid '70's & that was on fiats & alphas.
Thanks
;)

Probably should be OK with plumbing the PCV from the road draft tube openning. My old '61 Vette shop manual had provisions for a PCV valve for the California cars. The engine blocks were the same and the road draft tube was removed and hoses and the valve were plumbed to the base of the carb.
Doug

Back