Replacing a vacuum advance control

hickorystang

How difficult is replacing the vacuum advance control? Would I need
to check my timing afterwards?

My nephew seems to think my carb issue is timing-related. Couldn't hurt to check I don't guess.

He also mentioned that the diaphragm in my vacuum advance control canister could be shot.

Before doing the above I am going to take the carb off and check the float level. Also, I have been reading a lot about the accelerator pump. I know I replaced the pump cup with the new one in the rebuild kit. What should I be checking for when troubleshooting the pump?

Thanks guys!!!
Steven

If you haven’t read about how the LOD distrib system than you should they work by the load. they do not work like other vacuum advance systems. There are also many good older posts about the LOD on the form.

Link to LOD
http://classicinlines.com/Loadomatic.asp

Look in the carb when pushing the accelerator and see if fuel is visibly squirting into the carb. That will tell you if the accel pump is working.

Assuming you don't have a timing light to check if the distributor is advancing the timing.....
Pop the cap off of the distributor. Connect a hose to the vacuum fitting on the vacuum motor and suck on it. If it holds vacuum then it likely is OK. Also look at the plate of the distributor and the vacuum arm if possible. While sucking on the line you should see the arm move and rotate the plate/base that the points are mounted on.

If you have a timing light, you can suck on the vacuum hose and while the engine is running, you should hear the engine rpm's increase as the timing is advanced.

Replacing the vac motor is not difficult. And yes, you should recheck the timing. Something could be binding differently such that the timing does not return back to the same base timing. You will also want to check to see that the vac motor is advancing the timing.
Doug

Back