still smoking..

72maverick

Hello,

I pulled the plugs after letting the car idle and noticed blue smoke from each cylinder. I know my number 5 cylinder has a bad ring since the compression test was so low and there is blow by from the oil filler and oil level tube. Also, all the small plugs had some oil fouling on them. So can the smoke in the cylinders be from the bad number 5 ring? or is it from the cylinder head?

Thanks

8) bad valve seals will also allow oil into the combustion chambers and cause smoking. but what the heck the car is old enough to smoke :rolflmao: :rolflmao:

seriously though, one bad ring wont cause the other cylinders to smoke.

I've done them. It's just you pay a shop and they say they did it, you would like to think that they did it. Just annoying. Any way to make sure it's not the valve guides?

Might be from all the rings not giving a good seal do you know what type of rings and the end gaps were when it was assembled?

sadly no idea what kind of rings. I assume a generic rebuild kit with cast iron. WOuld that cause oil on the spark plugs? My pistons are coated with crude.
THere are the compression test results.
#1 -119
#2 -124
#3-123
#4-129
#5 -100
#6-123

So this is a fresh rebuild?
How was the break-in procedure? Did you do it?
Did you do the compression test on a warm engine? Those numbers look low for a newish block.

Did you squirt some oil in each cylinder to see if the compression came up any? If it did it would be a sign that the rings were not sealing.

No. I should have. I may do it again. I'm thinking about pulling it apart and just putting neelw rings and check out the top end. There's plenty of blow by

bubba22349":1vgfwduh said:
Did you squirt some oil in each cylinder to see if the compression came up any? If it did it would be a sign that the rings were not sealing.

72maverick":1vgfwduh said:
No. I should have. I may do it again. I'm thinking about pulling it apart and just putting neelw rings and check out the top end. There's plenty of blow by

I would do the compression test wet like bubba suggested. If the guides are Not round holes the valves will be seating all over the place. with only sometimes hitting it right and getting a good seal. .

72maverick":17l9szf3 said:
On all the cylinders? Every plug had oil. That seems extreme to me

It will tell you a lot and honestly how long will it take to remove the other 5 plugs on a inline 6?

X2 it's the best way to narrow down the source of problem of low compression from rings, and in that case the head may be in good condition. As an example my 250 oils the plugs in about 2000 to 3000 miles i have determined that it is for sure from worn guides.

How many miles on this rebuild? It can take a bit of break in before the rings are fully bedded.
First two words in 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'..."Don't panic" ;) Good luck (y)

Everybody I've talked to says a rebuild should never smoke. And I hate smoke behind me. There's just over 50 miles on it

72maverick":159sqxep said:
Everybody I've talked to says a rebuild should never smoke. And I hate smoke behind me. There's just over 50 miles on it

IMO, I'm not sure about "never" smoke...can depend on types of rings, etc (one type of material seats faster/slower than others). Cam break in time, plus 50 miles :unsure: should be at least part of the way there, but as they say YMMV ;)

Have you done your first oil change after break in? If not you probably should.

What weight/viscosity are you running for break-in? IIWIYS, I might consider an oil change to a heavier weight if not using already...again IMO, I like the straight 30w or 20w/50 in these older designed cast iron engines. Then take 1-2hr break in drive with some "semi" sustained highway speeds/rpm...trying not to peg at an singe rpm range for more than 10mins...then re-assess. Just $.02
EDIT: 2-4: 1/2hr drives (with higher rpms) would also work if you're more comfortable with that, and assuming vehicle is tuned & 'all systems functioning (relatively) normal' to allow it :nod:
Good luck (y)

I've done 4 oil changes since break in and running 15w-50 I think and I've been on a few hour long drives changing rpms

Back