DS-II back to"zero"

mugsy

Famous Member
Very long and involved story made VERY short, the new DS-II dizzy I bought from O-Reilly's a few years ago was junk. I replaced it with one from a Maverick I found in a junkyard. And the JY dizzy made the newly rebuilt engine run TONS better than the "Cardone" re-mfg POS I got from O'R :banghead: . So I "re-curved" the JY one based on the sticky. I replaced the smaller wire spring. But when I went to move the post on the thicker wired spring it looked like there was a 3/32" gap already. So I moved it an additional 3/32" and basically found out the thicker wired spring never provided any tension on the post even at full advance! So.... with regards to the two springs, what is the setting coming out from the factory? Are both springs touching their respective posts? Are the posts moved 0.0XX" after they make contact with the spring(s)? Is there a gap between the spring end and the port?

Again to make a very long story short, I've discovered most of the drive-ability issues since the engine rebuild are mostly dizzy related and not the 3-4 different carbs I've tried! I"m hoping to settle the dizzy issues and move on to the carb next :D

Tanx 8)

That sticky , should be a icky , there is NO way to know what your going to have from those instruction , unless you have as a min a dial back timing light , checking the curve takes time and there is NO just add this and Bend this and your done going to get you there! , I use The parts store remans as CORES , believing they are any where close is like believing the DUI's have custom curves in them :nono:

Mugsy, the longer spring is the spring that limits the advance at higher RPM'S.
Yes without looking at the spring a 3/32 gap is normal for this spring.
If you want your distributor set up properly using a Sun distributor testor send it to me & I will custom tune your DS11 to your engine specs.
PM me if you want it set up properly. Bill

With this JY dizzy I found out after quiet some time that I could set the initial at 10* in idle, but when I put the car into drive it would drop down to 4*. So that tells me this one isn't the best I can use! And with my experience with the one from O'R it seems you just can't buy one from the Auto parts store, drop it in and off you go.

WSA111 do you have spare plates that limit the total travel? Currently there is a 13L and it seems to allow too much advance. The engine likes lots of initial (about 12*) but that causes issues at WOT.

mugsy":2ujnwzfl said:
With this JY dizzy I found out after quiet some time that I could set the initial at 10* in idle, but when I put the car into drive it would drop down to 4*. So that tells me this one isn't the best I can use! And with my experience with the one from O'R it seems you just can't buy one from the Auto parts store, drop it in and off you go.

WSA111 do you have spare plates that limit the total travel? Currently there is a 13L and it seems to allow too much advance. The engine likes lots of initial (about 12*) but that causes issues at WOT.
Mugsy, I modify existing plates.
To get your distributor set up correct, which would include an adjustable vacuum advance the cost would be close to $150.00

Back