200 i6 Oil Slinger

candyapple66

Hi during reassembly of my 200 it is strange but I do not have an oil slinger washer thing and dont recall even having one when I took the motor apart. The engine was made in july 1966 so im wondering.....did they stop putting the oil slingers in or do I have to wonder if a previous repair person lost the oil slinger. As far as I know I was the first person to work on this motor.

Thanks!

Lots can happen in 48 years, many people don't reinstall them when doing a repair their thinking is that they are unnessisary (i.e. As in when replacing a timing chain set) to answer your question though your 1966 would have had one in it when it was built by Ford. Personally I like to reuse them if I have one. Good luck :nod:

it isnt necessary to reuse the oil slinger. ford put them in to avoid oil leaks, but they were not necessary.

With todays seals, its better to not use one. This allows oil to actually extend the life of the seal or seals.

Like already said ...no need for the oil slinger... they were used when the seals were still made from leather. On Later models motors they were deleted.

Ok because i installed a new front seal and it fit great and also installed a new rope seal in the back so the engine hopefully wont have leaks? Lol yea cross fingers but its good to know the slinger isnt necessary because it wasnt in there when i took the engine apart. Ive put the harmonic balancer on, new gears and timing chain as well!

Back