comp numbers look low total advance too high?

I decided to check the cranking compression on my new engine today and they seem low for c 10.3 to 1 compression ratio. 1. 160 2. 155 3. 165 4. 165 5. 175 6. 165 i also checked the total advance on the distributor. It came out to be around 42 deg the reading was very erratic. Initial advance is set at 20 deg since the engine will not run smoothly if lower.

You have way to much total advance for your combination.
Cranking compression depends on your camshaft.
You need immediate attention for your distributor. You could do engine damage with that much total advance.
The backfire could be a carburetor problem or a distributor problem.
Have you checked your harmonic balancer to see if has turned on the balancer hub??

My trials and errors, pul the advance off and block it for now, unless you have something else a miss, my comp is lower than what it was.

Did you remove the vacuum advance can from the distributor or just disconnect the vacuum hose? If you removed the can the vacuum advanve plate is whats rattling around and n=making the timing iradic

Have you checked the phasing of the rotor?
If your using a Ford distributor which mechanical advance slot are you using?

I had someone curve it for me, i have no idea what was done to it, it worked great till i installed it in the new engine and made a few runs. im having someone check it out for me.

I didn't know about phasing when i built the block, I just did a search on the topic. i did notice that the cap and rotor spark marks are not centered. I will try that when i get it back. thanks :beer:

64 200 ranchero":26f0ble3 said:
I had someone curve it for me, i have no idea what was done to it, it worked great till i installed it in the new engine and made a few runs. im having someone check it out for me.

iNNITIAL AND MECHANICAL advance using todays fuel has to be revised compaired to what was stock back in the days before adding corn to the fuel.
Innitial these days can end up around 20* innitial + or - a bit. Mechanical most of the time ends up around 6* to 8* at distributor.
Now to figure total advance is 20 initial + (2 x mechanical at distributor) = total at the crank.
example 20* + (2 x 6*) = total

20* + 12* = 32*
Atotal of 36 is about the most these days 20* initial + 8* mechanical at the distributor.

Back