Need help with pinging issue.

I'll look @ that. I set the initial with the vacuum disconnected at a good low idle. Although it makes no difference @ idle whether it's hooked up or not. The shifter is fine, no different than stock except for that I'm using a push pull cable and lacking the gate to keep me out of sliding it into R from N, OD, D etc. Today, I drove it in 'D' and found my problem. It's skipping 2nd gear. That's why I thought I was feathering it into 3rd before, but you were right, that was OD. I can't perceive more than 1st then 3rd. If it is going into 2nd at all it's only slipping in and right on to 3rd, but for all I can tell it's just skipping it. I read about and did the 1-d-1 shuffle and got it to go into second and hold second until I shifted back to D and it went into third. I did it a couple of times. This seems to be the main problem now that needs to be remedied before anything else is addressed. It's the reason for the pinging on hills sometimes, it's loading the engine down b/c it's skipping 2nd gear. Thanks a lot for your help, you've save me a bunch of time figuring this out so far. Any idea's on what the problem may be with the aod? Is it toast? I've read everything from governor to valve body to intermediate clutch band spring thing etc. I'm not the first person to have had this problem with an aod apparently.

I know the C4 better (frm the innumerable on line tutorials) so may not B of aid but
have you seen anything of help on Youtube?
AOD is pre computer…is there a TV like the C4?
Where would such an apparatus B hooked to the RBS?
R U confident that's well adjusted?
HThisH, not hurts...

I know Dana Sniff he is a local California racer 40 year transmission builder and does the aod, still does builds to them and sells parts for your aod too you could give him a call if you look up online google.

cant believe your still getting ping after even the custom milled ford tempo piston.

If its toast most likely due to TV cable bushing at the TB falling out and was driven after it happened. Just a couple miles will dammage it.

More likely it was driven in city with OD engaged. Got to go be back later

autoX65":1wwc38cx said:
I know Dana Sniff he is a local California racer 40 year transmission builder and does the aod, still does builds to them and sells parts for your aod too you could give him a call if you look up online google.

cant believe your still getting ping after even the custom milled ford tempo piston.

It's like if I'm in my 5 spd/300 efi truck and were to shift from second directly into forth on a hill, it will ping to.

turbo2256b":2w69kmsm said:
If its toast most likely due to TV cable bushing at the TB falling out and was driven after it happened. Just a couple miles will dammage it.

More likely it was driven in city with OD engaged. Got to go be back later

Continuing it is most likely to damage OD and D if left in OD in city driving because the OD clutch is weak and around 35 to 45 it will shift in and out of D and OD as speed increases and decreases below and above these limits. Currently been driving a 87 Country Squire in town for a few years that only has 1 and 2nd working.

There are detents at the arm on the trans but the main ones are at the steering column adjust ing them with the stock steering column is a bit tricky.

My 87 tudor has a modified AOD and used a floor shift and a valve body with an electric OD lock out.
This gives me a first second and D flip switch and it ads in OD.

I'm going to replace the valve body and maybe clean the governor and I'm going to swap out the vacuum advance for a 12 degree one and maybe put a vacuum delay inline. It still loves to just spike 20 degree's of vacuum advance in at moderate throttle under load if it's connected. Even with the adjustment screw turned out till it clicks. Right now I've got it timed @ around 12 degrees initial with about 18 degrees of mechanical by 2500-2800 rpm. It will put in another 2 degrees or so when revv'd up above 3400 or so.

From what I've read I'm hoping it's a problem with the 2-3 accumulator or the governor. If not I'm out some fluid and a couple hundred $$ for the valve body and my time. I don't want to rebuild any of it myself. But I can change a vb I think. The fact that it will go into 2nd and hold it with the 1-d-1 shuffle and compression brake the engine gives me hope that it's a problem with the vb or governor.

Thank you for the info.
Good Luck, sounds like ur gettin close (but still frustratin).

"...From what I've read..."
If U found a reliable source or 3 on-line, plez post 4 us.
(All I saw wuz a vid on TV adjustment).

Let us know re: developments ~

Thanks Chad. I am getting close. I think once the carb jet is dialed in and the transmission is squared away I'll be there. It's been 3 years so I guess I'm not in to much hurry, I can see the light! It sucks that the tranny isn't quite right, but @ $100 and a hope and a prayer, it's doing OK. It get's me around and in style :) And I'd race anyone I know here in Anacortes with an early van, for pinks :D All tired I6's and an s6... nothing like stopping on a dime as well with the new braking system as well, that helps. It put's a smile on my face and everyone elses. It's a lot of fun to drive one of these old rig's.

It's been low's around 20, high's around freezing or less for a week and I haven't started it in a couple days. If I walk out now and set the choke and turn the key, she'll fire right off and run, like every time :) No other pedal action, no fuss no muss, walk away, then run back later and click off the high idle cam :oops:

then run back later and click off the high idle cam

~ 7 min later on the ol 170/YF, I'll C what I (actually we) can accomplish wid da 250 ~

Buy a cheap shift improvement kit for the AOD like a TransGo. There's lots of info in there. Your mechanical advance sounds like it's advancing to full a little early. Either make a manifold vacuum source and retard the initial advance or tighten up the mechanical.

Back