170 cylinder head interchange ability?

ags290

Supporter 2022
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
I have a 1968 170 that is currently in my son's 1964 1/2 mustang. It is smoking on initial start up. I am guessing that the culprit is worn valve guides. I picked up a 1965 170 assembly off of craigslist out of a Ranchero for very little money to use as a core to rebuild and replace the current head so I would only have the car down for a couple of days. When I pulled the valve cover off of the 1965 engine I found that it had adjustable rocker arms so I am assuming that it has solid lifters. The rocker arms on the 1968 head are non adjustable and it has hydraulic lifters.

The question are:

1) If I use the 1965 cylinder head and get a valve job and replace the guides, can I use the 1968 non adjustable rocker arms, shafts and push rods from the hydraulic lifter setup?

2) If I decide to rebuild the 1965 block and head, are there oiling provisions to install a hydraulic cam and lifters or will I need to stay with the solid lifter set up?

3) Should I just find a 200 engine and rebuild it instead and paint it like the 170 (red and black)

The car is a driver but we are trying to make it as correct as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

ags290":3395re1b said:
I have a 1968 170 that is currently in my son's 1964 1/2 mustang. It is smoking on initial start up. I am guessing that the culprit is worn valve guides. I picked up a 1965 170 assembly off of craigslist out of a Ranchero for very little money to use as a core to rebuild and replace the current head so I would only have the car down for a couple of days. When I pulled the valve cover off of the 1965 engine I found that it had adjustable rocker arms so I am assuming that it has solid lifters. The rocker arms on the 1968 head are non adjustable and it has hydraulic lifters.

The question are:

1) If I use the 1965 cylinder head and get a valve job and replace the guides, can I use the 1968 non adjustable rocker arms, shafts and push rods from the hydraulic lifter setup?

2) If I decide to rebuild the 1965 block and head, are there oiling provisions to install a hydraulic cam and lifters or will I need to stay with the solid lifter set up?

3) Should I just find a 200 engine and rebuild it instead and paint it like the 170 (red and black)

The car is a driver but we are trying to make it as correct as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

1. Yes if you want you can use either rocker assembly and it's matching push rods for the swap

2. Yes you can use Hydrolic lifters

3. The 170 is a good engine but the 200's are slightly better with more power and torque, so that would be a personal choice depending on how you plan to use it. But very few people will be able to tell the difference between a 170 or 200 if you paint it in the 170
colors.

Good luck on the project :nod:

Howdy Kevin:

And welcome to the Forum. Just to throw a curve at you, it may not be the valve guide that are causing the smoke. It may be the valve guide seals. Check them out. Do a compression check and also remove the valve cover and look between the coils for evidence of the rubber umbrella seals on top of the valve guide bosses. You might also look for broken pieces of rubber in and around the oil tray.

If the compression is ok and the seals are not you will have a less expensive solution. Or not.

Bubba got the rest of your options covered.

Adios, David

Thanks for the information! I will be pulling the valve cover off this weekend to check the seals. I did pull the spark plugs and they were "ashed" so I am guessing that I have some type of oil leakage coming from the head. Number 4 was the worst. We have owned the car for a little over a year and my son has driven it about 4500 miles. It has smoked since we got it so I am looking forward to getting this corrected. I also have a question about the carb but that will be a seperate post.

Kevin

(y) David (CZLN6) brought up a very good point about that it might be the valve guide seals, it's a very common problem with many old engines. The good news is that it's a fairly easy fix that can be done in day or less (depending on your tools and skill level) and with the head still on the engine in the car. Good luck :nod:

Back