Duraspark II install help - PROBLEM SOLVED

bridgemute

After resolving my backfire issue, I thought I'd tackle a duraspark upgrade on my 66 mustang. I purchased the performance distributor module (blue duraspark), inferno coil, and a re-curved dizzy from wsa11. I have everything installed per the wiring diagram below with also the brown wire removed on the starter solenoid and no ignition fire at all. I had 6v to the coil with the ballast resistor in. With the ballast resistor bypassed and 12v to the coil still no fire. I have a good ground on the black wire from the distributor.

Resistance between the purple and orange wire varies from 4.7 Mohms to 597 ohms as the engine is cranked.

I plan on checking the ground quality of the module case later today, if the distributor ground wire has a good ground...is the module case ground important too?

What else do I need to check?

Wiring diagram:
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t281 ... ooxymg.png

I've got my own issue with my setup, so definitely not an expert, but I think I can say that if you are using a motorcraft type blue grommet module that the diagram in that link is not the right one.

This is the oem diagram:

HRyVxv.jpg

Here's one from painless wiring:

Duraspark-Wiring-Diagram-The-Proprietary-Painless-Solution-Is-What-You-Want-To-Create-Something-That-You.jpg

Here's another one that's pretty good:

76-77%20Duraspark%20II%20-%20Color.JPG

bridgemute":ih3364z4 said:
I have the dynamod module in the wiring diagram I posted.
Can't C much in yer photob. pic but it looks like U went to Performance for prts. I'd go back
2 them to trouble shoot their (2 or 3) product.s in ur system. Different components need set up differently.

There's a good thread on DSII / HEI but THAT 1s even different than THIS.

Figured it out. I had the negative wire and the ground wire from the distributor crossed. Also I had the index way off on the distributor. Had to turn it near 90 deg. to fire.

Great, cause the ohm readings on the Duraspark pickup are 400-800 ohms. Get it timed & get her rolling.

Econo's schematics R 4 a different module. His is Ford oem.
Yours is "Performance" a different manufacturer…
(So R some of ur other components).

The suggestion is to use the components in the schematics (he's even got the correct bulkhead plugs & wire colors)
or
find the correct procedure for the components U have.
At least that's what I gotta do cuz I have no theory and very lill understanding of the ign system.

Ok, I got it to fire up but since I had to rotate the distributor so much...I decided to pull it back out to rotate it one notch on the key. Now I can't get it back on that key...it was a super tight fit last time...any pointers there? I can feel it fit to the gear...but it don't fit down on the oil pump hex drive

tap the key? socket on the damper nut'n turn?

Ok, I got the distributor to go on. It started up beautifully and I got the timing set to roughly 18 deg.

After I set the timing, I hooked up the to the ported vacuum on the 2100 and the engine fell flat on its face and backfired when revved up. I have been recommended by wsa11 to hook up to manifold vacuum. Does anyone have experience with this...and why did this happen with the ported vacuum on this carb. I have a comp cams performance cam P/N 65-236-4

"...vacuum on the 2100…"
pic's of each help

If you installed the new plate, make sure the reluctor does not hit the pickup coil on the plate.
If it doesn't hook up a timing light and see if the spark does not jump around with & without vacuum to the advance??? You could have a polarity condition.

Thanks for all the tech support over the phone wsa111

I got it going with a swap of the orange and purple wire. It retarded timing by roughly 15-20 deg, so I had to turn the distributor to advance it quite a bit to get it to fire...but when I hooked up the vacuum advance there wasn't any stumble at all, no mis-fire. I revved it up and it sounded beautiful

I haven't had a chance to final tune and take it out for a spin, but I'm so glad its running.

For everyone's reference, if you can get the DSII started but it stumbles like crazy and mis-fires when vac advance is hooked up...you need to swap your orange and purple wires to change the polarity of the pickup.

It appears that wire connection where timing had less advance is correct one.

Great news. I backup what i sell. Need a Duraspark11 i have two for sale in the small six for sale section.

U Go Bridgie!
Don't give up & the rewards R there!
Thnx 4 da pointers.
Enjoy the pepped up ride!

Back