Good candidate for a 170/200 build?

thank you,
it's a long process when low income & low 'other resources' (time, talent, knowledge, skill, tools, space, yahda, yahda). Havin fun, still~
:eek:

Turned out the seller was over 300 miles away. I had decided to just pursue the 75 200. When I asked him to sell the 200 by itself, the seller finally told me that he was in Erie instead of near Harrisburg(the next town over from me).

Whole thing was kind of strange.

I still like the idea of hopping up a 170, but practicality got the better of me.

Gonna keep looking for a 200.

Harlon":58q1olzq said:
I still like the idea of hopping up a 170, but practicality got the better of me.
I think ur the OP who has a son w/170? Been readin so many threads (here & other sites) can't remember.
Get that running the best possible & the learnin U can apply to a 200 (250? 300?) when available...

So...don't know what you've stated re: application of this next purchase.
What is it exactly U want it for? around town, back rd twisties, st/strip, 'off the line' or...

each falcon motor can have better use according to specific purpose (as well as cam, carb, etc never mind all the other components)~

chad":34cw7a1t said:
Harlon":34cw7a1t said:
I think ur the OP who has a son w/170? Been readin so many threads (here & other sites) can't remember.
Get that running the best possible & the learnin U can apply to a 200 (250? 300?) when available...

So...don't know what you've stated re: application of this next purchase.
What is it exactly U want it for? around town, back rd twisties, st/strip, 'off the line' or...

each falcon motor can have better use according to specific purpose (as well as cam, carb, etc never mind all the other components)~

Kind of multiple purposes, non practical.

Mostly looking for something to work on while my son decides what he wants to do with his Mustang. His purchase rekindled my boyhood/young adulthood love of working on cars. The wife is not cool with adding a 6th vehicle to our residential stable, so building an engine is the next best thing. As far as the sons Mustang, I'm under strict matrimonial rules that any work done on it has to come out of my sons budget, so right now he's waffling on dirction(200 hop-up vs 302) while he saves money.

The whole 170 vs 200 came up because this seller had a 61 170 and 75 200. I tend to gravitate toward the unique and different, so if I had to buy both why not see how I could combine the better breathing 200 head with lighter 170 block. See how much performance I could get out of the 170.

If I find an engine to build. The intent is to buy a 63 falcon once the herd at my stable thins out. Someday(maybe not so soon) my two grown kids will move out and I'll only have 2 cars in the driveway. If I build an engine for myself it will be for my future 63. It will be a daily, get around town vehicle, as much get up and go as I can get out of it without it getting all lopey and hard to keep an idle.

In the same breath, if my son decides to stick with the 200, I'm looking for a 200 to rebuild so he can continue driving while we do the work.

Either way, I'm looking to have a local machine shop I've spoken to do a valve job and back cutting the valves and honing the cylinder head and exhaust port surfaces, as well as standard bottom end and decking of the block. Only thing they don't do is polishing/porting and they aren't into doing the work to either do the direct mount 2V Carb or Aufie Triple 1v carb adaptors to the intake. I can do the polishing and any porting that needs done. Still need a machinist for the intake work.

As I get closer I'll be back here to work out what parts I need to get there. I've got questions, if I haven't figured it out by then, about rocker arm ratio vs cam lift vs flat top pistons vs clearance. Carb flow vs compression ratio vs fuel octane vs drivability? Hotter ignition vs spark gap vs compression ratio vs cooling efficiency?
But those will all come later. Now I'm just looking for a good candidate to start with.

Short answer, I want to go as fast as possible when I punch it on high test fuel without it sounding like it wants to beat someone to death.

My father in law has a 383 SBC in his truck and it barely holds idle and sounds like it wants to hurt you. Not my gig.

Back