Header Sizes

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Howdy guys,

So i got my clutch and tranny squared away (the pilot bearing was shot and the TO bearing had weird wear. I replaced both and installed the bell then the tranny and all id well now...... so far).

But thats a side note, my dual headers are finally off back order from vintage inlines and should be here monday. I know it says they're 2" outlet pipes, but what size for the rest of the pipe would be good?

This is a pretty much stock 200 with upgrades including CRT Performance HEI (Yes i plan on having it recurved eventually) and a weber 32/36 with adapter not direct. The tranny is a 3.03 RAN, and the rear is a 8" 2.8 ratio (i know it sucks lol). If i have to ever pull the head im putting in a better cam and will mill for a little better compression. Not sure what now but these may be possible future upgrades.

I was thinking on doing 1.75" pipes reducing it from the 2" at the header. Then doing 2 magniflow series 40 mufflers, then do 2" or 2.5" outlet pipes dumping in front of the rear tires (unless you all suggest out the back, i think it might look good on a 65 Ranchero).

Im looking for a deeper more mellow, but stronger sound. Not necessarily loud since its a daily, but something that sounds good.

This will be a possible summer thing so i got time.

Let me know what you all think,

Thanks guys,
Ryan

There is an advantage to using 2" to exit simply because 2" has more options for pipes and mufflers matching directly. The dual out Hookers go through two stock 170 Falcon mufflers on my '63 170 4 dr Wagon. two stock dual mufflers provide quiet cruise and a mellow sound with mild built motor. The '61 Comet has a 250 built motor and uses two 'Smithy" blue mufflers for a more aggressive match to the cars attitude.

I recommend flex-fitting segments for any spirited driving. Enabling long tube or most duals headers to exit before rear tires takes some creative fabbn'...

have fun

---

StarDiero75":3kb7p5v9 said:
Howdy guys,

So i got my clutch and tranny squared away (the pilot bearing was shot and the TO bearing had weird wear. I replaced both and installed the bell then the tranny and all id well now...... so far.

Let me know what you all think,

Thanks guys,
Ryan

:unsure: Hi Ryan, that's good to hear, but if you don't mind when you have the time go back and post what you found out and how it was all fixed in your other clutch post. That way others that were following along or reading that post or in the future are searching for an answer to their own problems can learn how your project turned out. :thanks:

X2 Even with a compleatly stock 200 I wouldn't even bother using anything less than a 2" pipe out of the headers. This would create a bit of a bottle neck right away in your flow. Good luck. (y) :nod:

I'd go 2" single out. I disagree with the common narrative on exhaust sizes. You don't need or want "back pressure" but if the exhaust is too large you will lose exhaust speed/velocity and it's scavenging effect. It will also drone like a bitch. Unless you're running that engine above 4K much at all you'll be happier with a properly sized exhaust. It will still be more than adequate for all of your driving and support low end power/pep. If you go with duals I'd go 1.5-1.75" max. <150HP doesn't need or benefit from 2" duals imo, and even then @ 175-225 hp you may be better off with 2.25-2.5" single or dual 1.75". Especially when it's @ <4-5K RPM. The carb and log can only bring in so much anyway. I just made a new exhaust system for my 250 from front to back and went from the old 2.25" system I used on my 170 to a 2" and the 255 loves it. I used an 18" glasspack and a Walker "quietflow" muffler exited behind the pas. rear wheel and it sounds good to me. Great straight six sound with a nice burble on downshifts and let offs, but no drone at any speed and no echoing thromb in low gear @ low speed. If there was any effect on power where I use it, it was for the better.

2X: "... It will also drone like a bitch...." as in SetherMan's post.
Turbo style (of the 3 or 4 styles) may B best (no drone, better 4 performance)~
lets C...turbo, chambered (as in yer flowmaster, al tho many co.s make all 3 styles), glass pac, hummm....
:unsure::
(like 2 C dat 'clutch thread' finished (y) )

Got my headers yesterday! They're beautiful... And here haha.
So some say do straight 2" out, some say funnel into a 1.75" to keep velocity up. Im kinda leaning toward the 1.75, that makes sense with air dynamics.

Now i also am possibly looking into having an X pipe, any recommendations or comments on that? I do know it does increase HP and torque for a fact, and it gives a mellower quieter sound at idle (which is ideal). Any issues with placement or cost? Like i said i kinda want to have them dump out in front of the rear tires.

Attachments

• 20180323_232505.jpg
    20180323_232505.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 69
  • 20180323_232513.jpg
    20180323_232513.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 69
I will say this i have that header setup up with 2" duals running out, cant say its performing any better or worse but it for sure is louder i ran straight pipe to 2 in glass packs and exited right in front of the passenger rear wheel, I will say it is plenty loud and it sounds awesome not too unlike a v8 however as they have said it does tend to drone in 3rd at "highway" speeds so as for size i dont know if i would worry but if you dont want it to be overly loud i would look into a nice set of mufflers either chambered or turbo

isn't the flowmaster'e has "chambered"?

Back