Weld Piggback Plug or get new Oil Pan

revolgc

The threads on my oil pan finally gave out and plug will no longer pull down tight. I tried JB Weld and a piggyback plug and that worked, sort of. Still had a slow drip where the oil got into the JB Weld I think. I just moved into a new house and am tired of having to watch where I park/use cardboard because of not wanting to stain the new concrete. I also tried a double-oversized plug and of course that did not go in straight so there is a gap between the plug and the pan on the bottom where I still get drip, drip, drip, drip. So I'm left with trying to decide between welding the piggyback plug in place so it does not leak or buying a new pan. My son "gave" me his mig welder to "store" for him but I have very little experience with it. This would really be my first welding project. Any idea how difficult welding the piggyback plug in place would be for a beginner?

Amazon has triple oversize drain plugs available.
Or any parts store could order them.

I know, new pan no fun (wait, cost).
Try it then:
Cut out ol bung, glue, weld, braze in new?
Yer back to the original sz plug.

Sure it's not at the gasket?
(by now I'd agree tho)
Just nother question...

Probably easiest to drill the threads out, then tap new oversized. A cheap one-time-use tap from someplace like Harbor Freight would likely be cheapest way to go, unless you have a set or a friend with a set.

So if I were to drill & tap with a larger plug, how do I make sure that it taps perpendicular to the hole so the plug goes in straight and not at a slight angle? Sort of the same problem I had with the self-taping oversized plug.

use ur eye?
carpenters (squares)?
the 'line level' on ur drill/driver (look at head, some have'em)?

Once you drill the old threads out (should be able to do by eye with a helper to double-check) and get a clean hole, it should be straightforward to run a tap in straight enough. Then use a good washer, either plastic or soft copper on the bolt.

I've done this on a pan still under the engine in a car, as long as you're reasonable square to the pan you should be all right. As far as metal fragments, load up the flutes on the drill bit and tap to catch cuttings. If you're really paranoid you can also put a good magnet on them to grab stuff, plus stick one of those magnet-on-a-stick things into the pan afterwards to grab stuff, and maybe even stick a big magnet permanently to the outside of the pan bottom somewhere nearby. But I really wouldn't worry that much...between greasing the cutting tools, gravity, the strainer, and the oil filter there won't be much able to do any damage.

Why drill, just screw in the next size oversize & install a sealing washer with a rubber seal as part of the ring.

wsa111":1d25pcju said:
Why drill, just screw in the next size oversize & install a sealing washer with a rubber seal as part of the ring.
Because clean new threads are better than over-cut mangled ones?

Back