Autolite 2100 "lean condition"?

bubba22349":3rlb5qpv said:
I would try the number three hole first then the number two if needed I doubt you need to go down to the number 1. Good luck :nod:

Ok, I moved the rod to the number 2 hole and left the pump arm set to the inner hole.

Here is a video of the pump shot with the engine off:
https://vimeo.com/424956186

Here is a video of the pump shot with the engine on:
https://vimeo.com/424956203

Here is what the vacuum gauge looks like off-idle, it stumbles and wants to die. If I push the throttle through it, it will recover, but backfire.
https://vimeo.com/424958462

Not able to get the videos to work will try again later, it might be my internet service. Black Plugs might be saying that it's Pig Rich with way to much fuel or your getting oil in the cylinder, this can be caused by worn rings or loose valve guides. :nod: Edited

bubba22349":33ugv6hy said:
Not able to get the videos to work will try again later, it might be my internet service. Plugs might say it's pig Rich with way to much fuel:nod:

I picked a fuel pressure gauge and a regulator...

Was able to see the vacuum gauge video needle is bouncing around not good. :unsure: Did you ever do a compression test on your 200? If so what were the results. By the way your vacuum gauge could be used to test the fuel pressure. :nod:

bubba22349":gcglq54a said:
Was able to see the vacuum gauge video needle is bouncing around not good. :unsure: Did you ever do a compression test on your 200? If so what were the results. By the way your vacuum gauge could be used to test the fuel pressure. :nod:

In the Vacuum Guage video, I am holding the throttle off-idle.

This is a video of my vacuum at idle.
https://vimeo.com/424980465

No, I haven't done a compression test. It ran very well with the 1100...

:unsure: Just not having any luck seeing any of those videos tonight. :banghead:

:unsure: Nope I think there's just to much internet traffic here in my service area, it's was working fine this morning and early afternoon. :nod:

:beer: So was finally able to see both of videos below.

Here is a video of the pump shot with the engine on:
https://vimeo.com/424956203

Here is what the vacuum gauge looks like off-idle, it stumbles and wants to die. If I push the throttle through it, it will recover, but backfire.
https://vimeo.com/424958462

Anyway lots of engine shaking going on at just off / above idle. There is a deep whistling noise to this looks, sounds, and acts like a really big vacuum leak and also jives with the backfiring your having. This also shows up on your second video at off idle vacuum gauge video showing the needle bounce too. Places to recheck leaks are the base of the carb to adapter and adapter to log, plus the carb's throttle shaft on the arm side, PCV, and any other vacuum lines. So wondering did your 200 engine have any of these same symptoms with the stock 1V Autolite 1100 carb or is this all new with changing over to the Autolite 2100? Best of luck (y) :nod:

bubba22349":37t7cjdy said:
So wondering did your 200 engine have any of these same symptoms with the stock 1V Autolite 1100 carb or is this all new with changing over to the Autolite 2100? Best of luck (y) :nod:

With the 1100 I had a little off-idle hesitation, but not always- and I had read online that it can be hard to eliminate that in those carbs. Anyways, the 1100 actually ran pretty well... I only wanted to upgrade to a 2v for the experience and I had read that the 2100 could improve drivability if you don't over carb.

The hesation with the 1100 could have been fixed easily biggest part of that was caused by only having 2 degrees of base timing, then a little bit of fine tuning would of fixed all the rest.

Ok anyway now you will need to carefully go over your 2100 install to find the cause of this problem. My best guess is that you find it between the carb base and the adapter to the heads log intake like from a poor fitting gasket that's not sealing. Good luck (y) :nod:

Another though came to me this afternoon as a possible cause and remembering those cut off studs you had to remove that were in the log. I can't see in your pictures what type fasteners were used to bolt the adapter to the intake log. It's a possibility that those fasteners might be bottoming out (i.e. Bolts being too long for the logs blind hole depth) so then before pulling down the adapter enough to actually seal against the gasket properly. This is the first place I would look you can use some carb spray around this adapter and its gasket to test for a vacuum leak there. Good luck (y) :nod:

bubba22349":358rq98y said:
Another though came to me this afternoon as a possible cause and remembering those cut off studs you had to remove that were in the log. I can't see in your pictures what type fasteners were used to bolt the adapter to the intake log. It's a possibility that those fasteners might be bottoming out (i.e. Bolts being too long for the logs blind hole depth) so then before pulling down the adapter enough to actually seal against the gasket properly. This is the first place I would look you can use some carb spray around this adapter and its gasket to test for a vacuum leak there. Good luck (y) :nod:

Thanks Bubba, I wondered that too. I actually put the 1100 back in for now. I work on the car on the street in front of my house and I had to get it off the street and into our parking spot for a few days. I'll return to this project again in the future.

I appreciate all the troubleshooting! For what its worth, the 1100 is running very well...

As stated rebuilt carbs have been known to have problems occasionally. As long as it is removed you might be able to swap for another carb at rockauto just tell them it runs like crap with the 2100. Or refund and get one from Napa it might be better.

Did you notice any thing odd when you took it apart? Take some pictures of the parts and both sides of the gaskets. It can run really good with a 2100 too just need to determine were the leak was. :nod:

the eternal "ck balls'n weights" ??
:LOL:

chad":1hal63x1 said:
the eternal "ck balls'n weights" ??
:LOL:

What's that mean??

bubba22349":1hal63x1 said:
Did you notice any thing odd when you took it apart? Take some pictures of the parts and both sides of the gaskets. It can run really good with a 2100 too just need to determine were the leak was. :nod:

I think you were correct Bubba, I think the mounting bolts may have been bottoming out. Even though the adapter felt solid... Next time I attempt the conversion Im going to double check the thread depth.

Hi, Chad is bringing up a common issue with our carbs. If you remove the big screw and cover holding the Venturi assembly, right under the screw is a chamber for the accelerator pump fuel. There should be a small ball and a long skinny weight on top of the ball. Look at a diagram of a 2100. Often times parts are missing or not in the correct place. Good luck

B RON CO":3o3qy5gr said:
Hi, Chad is bringing up a common issue with our carbs. If you remove the big screw and cover holding the Venturi assembly, right under the screw is a chamber for the accelerator pump fuel. There should be a small ball and a long skinny weight on top of the ball. Look at a diagram of a 2100. Often times parts are missing or not in the correct place. Good luck

Interesting, thank you!

Back