Autolite 2100 "lean condition"?

chad":z5arsg1i said:
spacecadet":z5arsg1i said:
Hi all,
I posted recently about my late model large log head having.....
Photo of the pump setting.

Just from the pic (& it bearly shows this aspect) I'm wondering if ur throttle cabe binds @ the VC?
Have the throttle blipped frm inside the cab w/hood open. C if it comes dwn onto VC during that process?
Nah...just an illusion?

The angle isn't great, it's actually parallel to the top of the valve cover with about 1" of clearance. No binding. When I blip the throttle with the cable disconnected the engine behaves as I have described.

Yes it may for a stock Ford 200 fuel pump we need to know two main things how much volume the fuel pump puts out and its operating pressure. You can do a simple volume test by running the fuel line into a safe fuel container, cranking the engine over for 15 seconds we should get about 32 ounces of fuel for a pump that's is in like new condition this equates to 21 GPH. When doing this test its best to use a remote starter switch if you have one, otherwise if not disconnect the coil wire so the engine can't start or cause a stray spark that could catch the wet fuel on fire. For pressure at the carb we want 4.5 to 5.5 PSI. With this info you know the complete fuel system from the fuel tank pickup point, though the fuel lines, to fuel pump, going though pump, and the fuel filter, up to the carb inlet. :nod: Edited

bubba22349":vvrupy9g said:
Yes it may for a stock Ford 200 fuel pump we need to know two main things how much volume the fuel pump puts out and its operating pressure. You can do a simple volume test by running the fuel line into a safe fuel container, cranking the engine over for 15 seconds we should get about 32 ounces of fuel for a pump that's is in like new condition this equates to 21 GPH. When doing this test its best to use a remote starter switch if you have one, otherwise if not disconnect the coil wire so the engine can't start or cause a stray spark that could catch the wet fuel on fire. For pressure at the carb we want 4.5 to 5.5 PSI. With this info you know the complete fuel system from the fuel tank pickup point, though the fuel lines, to fuel pump, going though pump, and the fuel filter, up to the carb inlet. :nod: Edited

Thank you. So if the pump meets or exceeds 21GPH and I can regulate pressure to ~5 PSI, then I should be able to use the stock mechanical pump with the 2100?

Can too much PSI cause issues with the carburetor, similar to my "lean/accerlator pump issue"?

Too much pressure would cause flooding, cause the needle & seat cannot hold the pressure.
If you don't has access to a wideband A/F tester, install one size larger main jet & see if that helps your condition.

wsa111":k6tus7br said:
Too much pressure would cause flooding, cause the needle & seat cannot hold the pressure.
If you don't has access to a wideband A/F tester, install one size larger main jet & see if that helps your condition.

Hmm, when I look down the carb bore and watch the shot of gas, it looks very weak. If it was flooding, I would imagine too much gas would come out? Althought, I assumed this was metered?

Pardon my lack of knowledge, this is only my 2nd engine with carburetor and the first one didn't give me any trouble...

spacecadet":36rtxbsp said:
wsa111":36rtxbsp said:

Hmm, when I look down the carb bore and watch the shot of gas, it looks very weak. If it was flooding, I would imagine too much gas would come out? Althought, I assumed this was metered?

Pardon my lack of knowledge, this is only my 2nd engine with carburetor and the first one didn't give me any trouble...

Wish I could see the pump shot! Is your accelerator linkage set up still like in your top picture? :nod:

bubba22349":10v3cvy1 said:
spacecadet":10v3cvy1 said:
wsa111":10v3cvy1 said:

Wish I could see the pump shot! Is your accelerator linkage set up still like in your top picture? :nod:

Yes. Here is another angle.
2100_linkage_2.jpg

When I test drove it, it felt very smooth after I pushed through the off-idle backfiring.

I'll captured a video of the weak pump shot tonight...

In the meantime, I did record this video yesterday of a vacuum test, unfortunately it doesn't capture the off-idle issue.

https://vimeo.com/424872488

Well then this might be quite easy! For one the accelerator pump linkage is set up wrong at the throdle arm end this should be in the third hole to start. This is one down from were it is now (4th hole). So the pump shot isn't as much or as quick as it normally would be. Sounds like you have an exhaust leak but from listening to the engine its acting very lasy / sluggish so the timing isn't set right yet either. :nod:

You might need to verify your timing marks are correct too. :nod:

bubba22349":2fph8lk5 said:
Well then this might be quite easy! For one the accelerator pump linkage is set up wrong at the throdle arm end this should be in the third hole to start. This is one down from were it is now. So the pump shot isn't as much or as quick as it normally would be. Sounds like you have an exhaust leak but from listening to the engine its acting very lasy / sluggish so the timing isn't set right yet either. :nod:

I do have an exhaust leak, Im waiting on a replacement exhaust bolt/stud set and gasket.

This video was captured before I increased my timing from 2 to 12 degrees.

I swear I tried the 3rd hole down, I will try it again tonight when I record a video of the pump shot.

bubba22349":3eyuaus6 said:
Well then this might be quite easy! For one the accelerator pump linkage is set up wrong at the throdle arm end this should be in the third hole to start. This is one down from were it is now (4th hole). So the pump shot isn't as much or as quick as it normally would be. Sounds like you have an exhaust leak but from listening to the engine its acting very lasy / sluggish so the timing isn't set right yet either. :nod:

Sorry Bubba, to clarify, you say 1 hole down from the current? That would be the 3rd from the top, not the 4th?

Ok no wonder it's sounds so sluggish being at 2 BTDC, I am sure it's much better now at 12 BTDC. If you had it in the number three arm hole (which is the normal setting) then you have decreased your pump shot moving (rasieing) it up one hole, so you went the wrong direction. To increase the pump shot some more leaving it in the stock third hole at the throdle arm next move the Rod to the outer hole on the accelerator pump arm from were it is now. If you still need even more of a shot then you would move down to the number two hole anD first the inner hole at pump arm. Nope the holes are numbered from the bottom, so your now in the 4th hole and need to go down to the third hole. Good luck (y) :nod:

bubba22349":2h995fzq said:
Ok no wonder it's sounds so sluggish being at 2 BTDC, I am sure it's much better now at 12 BTDC. If you had it in the number three arm hole (which is the normal setting) then you have decreased your pump shot moving (rasieing) it up one hole, so you went the wrong direction. To increase the pump shot some more leaving it in the stock third hole at the throdle arm next move the Rod to the outer hole on the accelerator pump arm from were it is now. If you still need even more of a shot then you would move down to the number two hole anD first the inner hole at pump arm. Nope the holes are numbered from the bottom, so your now in the 4th hole and need to go down to the third hole. Good luck (y) :nod:

Ah that's the knowledge I haven't been able to find online! So the largest pump shot is the bottom hole (1st hole) and the inner hole on the arm?

Here how it works the throdle shaft is the center point this arm is a lever pivoting from the center point of the throdle shaft. As you move up away from the center the stroke of this throdle arm will move less in distance to push the accelerator arm. And as you get closer to the center the arm moves a greater distance or a longer stroke length. :nod:

Well yes almost, except it would be the outer hole on the accelerator pump arm to give the longest shot with the number 1 hole. By verying of those two holes your adjusting the timing or quickness of the pump shot and also the duration. :nod:

bubba22349":138fr6hb said:
Well yes almost, except it would be the outer hole on the accelerator pump arm to give the longest shot with the number 1 hole. By verying of those two holes your adjusting the timing or quickness of the pump shot and also the duration. :nod:

Got it. Well tonight, I will move the pump rod to the bottom hole and leave the arm set to the inner hole, maybe try the outer hole if that doesnt help.

I'll double check my timing and record a video of what happens down the carb bore.

Thanks again!

The goal is to dial it in with just enough of a pump shot to give the car acceleration without being to lean and stumbling, but you can also go to far and cause a bog from being to rich. :nod:

I would try the number three hole first then the number two if needed I doubt you need to go down to the number 1. Good luck :nod:

bubba22349":3p2fpksb said:
I would try the number three hole first then the number two if needed I doubt you need to go down to the number 1. Good luck :nod:

So I have definitely tried number 2 with both the inner and outer rod settings. No change.
I think I tried 3, but I can't remember now...

Ok but was this done with only the 2 degrees BTDC? If so with the engine being so anemic from the timing being so far retarded, then you will need to start over on all those settings. (y) :nod:

Back