Working on a old fire!

A

Anonymous

I have a 1953 Ford F-100 that has a 215ci motor that I am reworking and I would like to put 262 pistons in the old mill, give it some more get up and go. If that would be possible, what other modifications could I do to it? Pulse I am planing to put on a Accel Superstock or Mallory High Output Coil next week. What coil would you use? Six volts just don’t cut it in today’s time’s lol!

Thank you all for your commits.

Sincerely,

Paul 8)

Paul, I hate to tell you this, but the 262 pistons won't work in a 215. the 215 has a bore of 3.56" & the 262 has 3.718". That would be a bit of an overbore! Not only that, but finding a 262 would be quite a challange. However, if you could find one, it would make a neet swap. Or you could just find a 223 & swap that, the 223 was a rather common motor. If you really want to keep the 215 (there's a few guys who are running them on this board), most of the 223 performance stuff will fit. Regardless, keep us posted, its neet to see people fool with ford's first over head valve motor. Take care,
Edwin
'63 & '65 red tudors & now an '84 F150 4x4 300 (!)

I heard the 262 crank could be used to stoke the 223. Could that be done (using a different crank not the 262 per se) in the 215 if bonfire427 decides not to swap out the engine?

Stroke the 215 (or a 223 if he swaps)? Now that would be something interesting! The 215 & the 223 have the same stroke of 3.6", the difference was the bore (3.56" & 3.625"). The 262 has a bore of 4.03". putting a 262 in the 2 smaller engines would make them 241 & 250ci. This would be untested waters as I've never heard of anyone doing this. One thing that I have noticed is that all of the pics of the 215 that I've seen (I haven't actually seen a "real" one) has the distributor in the center of the block, while 223s have it towards the front (like the SB6). I do have a pic of a '54 223 with the distributor in the center as well, maybe ford changed the location (ford never does that!)? The reason I bring this up is that I've read in the manuals that the 262 has a gear drive instead of a chain for the cam. Has anyone actually worked with a 262 & can confirm this? If so, that could be a factor in a swap like this. Take care,
Edwin
'63 & '65 red tudors
'84 F1504x4 300

To stroke the 215 (or any motor for that matter) you'd have to get a crank from a longer stroke motor (in this case the 262) & install it. SBC guys often make a 383 stroker out of a 350 buy putting a 400 crank into the 350. You can also offset grind the existing crank. In either case you'll need new rods & possibly new pistons as there may be clearance issues with the old ones. The crank and/or the block may need to be machined as well. If you're really interested in doing this its going to take some reasurch. You'll need to find out everything that you can on the OHV six (215/223/262) & stroking a motor in general. Look up what is involed with the 383 stroker & while you're trying to stoke a ford I6, the same basic concept holds true. I think that if you actually stroke this motor its going to take a bit of work. Sorry to be discouraging. However, I'd really encourage you to keep that six, the first day you take it to a car show you'll see what I mean. With rows & rows of SBC & SBFs, you'kk find that you're the only I6 & everyone will tell you how neet they think it is. Makes up for all that crap you get - "you're not going put a V8 in there? You can't do anything with an I6 you know..." Take care,
Edwin

63RT

According to "The Ford Service Technician" booklet, "Servicing the 262 Ford Truck Engine", the difference are;

Dual Primary Belts from the Crankshaft to the Waterpump & Generator,

Timing Gears instead of the Usual Timing Chain used on most light truck engine. The crankshaft gear is lubricated through a flat on the No. 1 camshaft bearing.

The use of a Carter Fuel Pump, mounting of the Fuel pump on the Front Cover.

The use of a Water heated Spacer at the Base of the Carbuetor to Prevent Icing.

A Forged, rather than a Cast, Crankshaft.

A Positive Crankcase Ventilation system.

The distributor is mounted on the right side of the block towards the front.

63redtudor":19z69l58 said:
Stroke the 215 (or a 223 if he swaps)? Now that would be something interesting! The 215 & the 223 have the same stroke of 3.6", the difference was the bore (3.56" & 3.625"). The 262 has a bore of 4.03". putting a 262 in the 2 smaller engines would make them 241 & 250ci. This would be untested waters as I've never heard of anyone doing this. One thing that I have noticed is that all of the pics of the 215 that I've seen (I haven't actually seen a "real" one) has the distributor in the center of the block, while 223s have it towards the front (like the SB6). I do have a pic of a '54 223 with the distributor in the center as well, maybe ford changed the location (ford never does that!)? The reason I bring this up is that I've read in the manuals that the 262 has a gear drive instead of a chain for the cam. Has anyone actually worked with a 262 & can confirm this? If so, that could be a factor in a swap like this. Take care,
Edwin
'63 & '65 red tudors
'84 F1504x4 300

'58 Red Merc. M-100 223 I-6 Merc-o-Matic

Back