TIP: engine builders of G, H and M series

M6ride

On the OIL pickup tube, where it connects to the circular cannister with oil-filtering screen, I read some where to braze it all the way around so that it can't fall apart, or LEAK AIR thus loosing OIL PRESSURE, and possibly destroy all of those new bearings and crankshaft, burn up an engine, etc. Cost a few dollars and a little time, but great insurance against a possible engine loss. In the article I read, he said that the complete cannister had fallen off of one engine that he worked on, probably due to vibration and inadequate welding.

Also, before installing the oil pan you might want to DOUBLE-check the elevation of the cannister's BOTTOM elevation vs. the "ADD" oil mark elevation on the dip stick so you feel comfortable about the cannister's bottom elevation being BELOW the "ADD" oil mark. They probably were originally designed to be very close to the same elevation or cannister being even lower; I'd guess the cannister bottom should be a little lower than the "ADD" oil indicator, maybe ~ 1/2" lower. If needed or suspect, a spacer could be added between the block and the pickup tube junction location.

Murphy's law: "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong."

Back