1958 F100

1958F100

Have a 1958 F100. Looking at swapping my 223 out for a 272 or 292. The pickup has a 4 on the floor. I know that I will have to chang the transmission bell to get it to bolt to it but I'm wondering what else I'm gonna have to change to get it in there. Will the front motor mounts be the same? Will I have to change anything else? I already have the 3 row core radiator that was in the V8 models. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Besides the truck 4 speed bell and flywheel the clutch equalizer may be different too. It will need the Y Block truck type front timing cover (or Tbird). Don't remember for sure that the front motor mount is the same but doubt it maybe the rubber insulator. If you want a stock parts looking bolt in install you will need all the truck engine front dress or drive parts IE water pump, fan, radiator and fan shroud, front damper, & pulleys. You will need the V8 engine wire harness and accelerator pedal linkage on firewall and rod to carb. Another good swap would be a 240 / 300 six :nod:

The V8 is shorter and you will have to weld a upside-down "U" shaped perch to the front crossmember. At least that's what they did on the 62 F100 I used to own.

Fred

Back