1958 223

I had read an old post from Bubba22348 I believe. He mentioned that the 1958 223 A code engine was one of the best.
I currently own a 1964 223.
It's a great engine. The only thing I kept was the rods, head and block.
He also mentioned that the 223 started being detuned after 1960.
I have an opportunity to purchase a 1958 223.
I was thinking about building this 1958 engine i have found to be as hot as it can be.
But it came out of a F 350 I believe.
How can I tell if it is an A code?
And what or should I say how was the 1960 and later engines detuned?

I don't have the depth of knowledge that Bubba did but I'll be glad to share what I can. To the best of my knowledge the 1958 Ford 223 was the highest horsepower/torque (145 hp/212 lb ft) of all the 223 sixes. The only significant difference I'm aware of is the 1958 engine has the highest compression ratio (8.6:1) due to a different cylinder head. I suspect there were more differences than just the combustion chamber size but I don't know what they were. It seems to have been (and still is) a favored performance head for the 223. Without digging through my shop manual, I believe the A code was the engine identifier on the vehicle data plate. In a '58 truck, it should be on the inside of the glove box door (that's where mine is). Data plates can also be found on the door of some vehicles. Clifford used to supply data sheets for building these engines. I posted mine in this forum somewhere. FYI there were some differences with oil pumps among the years, you will have to sort that out if you start modifying the ignition system. The only other significant difference was the cylinder heads on the 59> had different valve covers and larger head bolts.

Lou Manglass

Thank you so much. My 64 has been totally gone through so I may use the 58 top end and send the cam to be modified.
Who do you recommend for the cam?

Have a look here, there is much more information in this older post than I could ever supply:

Schneider seems to be a favorite, other grinders are Delta, Elgin, and Jones. A smaller cam grinder can probably get you closer to where you want to be but you'll need to give them a lot of specific vehicle and drivetrain information as well as intended usage.

Bubba, myself, and some others had an in depth discussion about 223 performance builds, you can find that here:

I also found my old Clifford data sheet. There are an incredible number of technical recommendations. This was based on a conversation I had with, I think, Jack Clifford himself.

Attachments

• Clifford Data Sheet.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Back