Building for low revs, part 2: The turbo(s). (long post)

LincolnMarkVII

The original thread can be found here: http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47511

The short of it: I'm working on picking up a 250 for my '83 Fairmont, and I'd like to build it for making all its power from idle to 4000 RPM, with no concern for ever going past 4000. I'll be looking to use the CI aluminum head, fuel injection, (probably Megasquirt) and probably a truck/RV type cam. 200-250 at the rear wheels would be ideal, (2900 lb. car) but I'm more concerned with making it a torque monster than raw horsepower numbers. 3.55 or 3.73 gears will likely be used along with an overdrive transmission. One thing that's changed between that thread and this one is that I'm giving more thought to going to a T5 or T56 instead of an AOD.

The Fairmont will likely never see a track of any sort, but I'm building it more or less like a road racer. Slightly lowered, Cobra IRS out back, subframe connectors, torque box reinforcement, strut tower brace, etc. I may even try my hand at learning how to make my own fiberglass or carbon fiber body panels to lighten up the front end. I don't drive like a maniac or with a lead foot, but those times I do open the taps I want it to feel just right.

I started this new thread with the intent of focusing on forced induction. Originally I had wanted a supercharger, but I was told that that would be less than ideal for my goals. (I want power, but I do want to try to keep decent fuel economy at part throttle) I started thinking about a turbo, then I read the Tempo EFI thread in this section and got to thinking: What about two small turbos (like an IHI from a Turbo Coupe or a turbo Probe) set up with custom intake and exhaust to behave almost like two connected inline-3s? What I mean is making a small intake and exhaust for just the back 3 cylinders, and another pair for the front 3, and not physically connecting them in any way.

Why am I pursuing this line of thinking? I'm thinking about trying to maximize throttle response, minimize turbo lag, and even any lag that may occur from a longer distance between the turbo and the intake valves. I also would like to keep front end weight down if possible.

I don't have a specific question other than whether or not I'm pursuing a valid line of thinking. I know this won't be cheap to do right. I'm mostly not concerned with that. (I'm not looking to spend hundreds of thousands, but I expect it to be in the low tens of thousands when all is said and done) This car is a once-in-a-lifetime type project for me. I would like to toss out a few things and see what kind of feedback I can get on it. Some points to note:

- I don't want to mess around with intercoolers if I can avoid it. Lots of plumbing involved there.
- Yes, I realize that that probably limits me to 5-7 PSI at best with no other changes.
- I would, however, be willing to use some sort of methanol injection setup to get beyond that boost level.
- I would be willing to set up a 2-stage boost controller triggered manually or triggered by a low fluid sensor in the methanol tank.
- The 80,000-ish mile/1976-vintage 250 will be getting a rebuild before being used.
- I don't expect to do a rebuild as cheaply as possible. I'll do what needs to be done to handle all this.
- I'll probably use one of the fancier MSD boxes that includes crude traction control for those times that the woman would need to drive it.
- For fuel injection, I was thinking about two larger injectors.. one in each small intake.. as opposed to trying to set up multi-port. Perhaps the injectors from a CFI 5.0?
- I was thinking a second pair of similar injectors for the methanol injection.
- For lack of a better description, the image in my head of the small intake manifolds is that of something shaped crudely like the circular Mopar "M" logo.. with the throttle body at the top of the M where the three legs meet, and the injector just behind that.
- I have also considered that other intake setup with the six small throttle bodies.. I would have no problem with that.
- Yes, I'm quite possibly insane.

With all this in mind, could a setup be built that's superior to using one large turbo connected to all six cylinders by the conventional means?

Well I've written myself into a corner here, so I'll post it for now and see how many people tell me I'm on crack, I mean see what questions pop up before I regurgitate any further thoughts/details/silliness.

I don't want to mess around with intercoolers if I can avoid it. Lots of plumbing involved there.

and

What I mean is making a small intake and exhaust for just the back 3 cylinders, and another pair for the front 3, and not physically connecting them in any way.

huh? and you think intercoolers are too much plumbing ?

The picture I have in my head of the mini intake manifolds has them at a size like this:

http://classicinlines.com/images/AlumCy ... 1w_jpg.jpg

If I were still using the log head for this project, it would be perfectly acceptable to just use two throttle bodies hacked into that.

For the exhausts, I'm thinking no larger than what is needed to merge 3 pipes into one small turbo.

Are you trying to tell me that plumbing two turbos to an intercooler and back again is less piping than that? Sorry, I don't buy it.

Please keep all topic images to 800x600 pixels, with a maximum size of 100K

Have a lot of fun :)

I am telling you that if you think plumbing up an intercooler is too much plumbing, then I don't think a turbo setup is for you.

I think a single turbo will give you more than you are looking for performance wise, and will be a lot easier to setup than any twin-turbo setup.

I'm not completely unwilling to use an intercooler. To be honest my concern is that I don't know if I'll have a place for it with the A/C condenser there, (I'm in Florida and it's going to remain a DD, going w/o A/C is not an option) the pusher fan there, the trans (or oil if I go stick) cooler there, etc. I thought about maybe up in the fenders if I could make deflectors to pull air up into them and if I could find ones that would fit the gaps in there, but I just don't know.

The other thing about putting in the plumbing for an intercooler is that it sort of contradicts my notion of making the shortest possible path from turbo to intake valves.

Yes, I realize it could all be done with one turbo. Maybe in the end things would fit better that way, too.. who knows? What I want to know is whether I can minimize lag and maximize throttle response going with two smaller turbos like that. I was hoping to spark a discussion about running with the quicker response/less lag angle.. but if you think I should just put a V8, I mean put a single turbo in..

If you are going to do it right, I'd suggest multipoint, megasquirt, single turbo and intercooler. Twin turbos means contingencies in the event of individual failure, individual flow characteristics, etc.

Your throttle body will need to be sized according to whether you use an IC or not. ... the increased density affects the capacity index selection of the plate.

Doing a single turbo setup is a far cry from just swapping in a V8...

And you can get everything you are looking for out of a single turbo just as well as you can out of twin...

actually - better.

Twin turbo's are neat and stuff, but there is a reason that they aren't very common...

If you want fast spool up, size your single turbo accordingly and off you go. hasa68mustang had a single IHI on his and had insta-spool.

The car will never have a V8 as long as I own it. That statement was made out of frustration at asking one thing and getting something else. I keep forgetting how hard it can be to get a lengthy conversation out of most car guys.

Let's just put the whole single turbo thing aside for now. I'll concede that it's probably the more sensible thing to do. Who knows.. maybe in the end I'll go in that direction. Considering I started planning this project for an Eaton M90, it's not impossible that I'll change my mind between now and when I'm ready to do it. However, at this point I am hoping to discuss possible upsides to doing the two smaller turbo thing.

Alright, let's say I used an intake like the picture shown, but instead of six little carbon fiber horns on the ends, fabricate a long log head-style pipe to the whole mess and put two throttle bodies on it. Would that solve the single-failure issue?

I should have mentioned that I'd be willing to do multipoint injection.

Considering the other big project I'd like to do is a reasonably accurate replica of the evil version of KITT from Knight Rider, (KARR) I'd have to say the purely sensible route isn't high on my list of priorities.. 8)

I keep forgetting how hard it can be to get a lengthy conversation out of most car guys.

And insulting us as a whole is a great way to keep it that way.

The reason you aren't getting any feedback on the upsides of a twin turbo setup is because for your application, there aren't many.

I am giving you feedback on your idea. I think it's a bad one and it's focused around an arbitrary decision to use two turbo's instead of one.

And, as an engineer, arbitrary design decisions fundamentally bother me.

OK, so, twin turbo applications are not common.. but they are not unheard of. Supra, 300Z, etc. I was hoping as much for a theoretical exchange as one based on practical experience. Hell, I'd consider trying three tiny turbos (like from a 1.0L Sprint) if a benefit could be shown.

I am aware that of the existing twin turbo setups, many are set up as a large turbo into a small turbo. Yes, what I have in mind is different than that. I don't see my idea as much different than putting one small turbo on each bank of a V6 or V8.. they just happen to be right next to each other in this case.

I am also aware that strides have been made in the past decade or so into eliminating lag problems that brought about some twin turbo setups in the first place. As I said above, I won't rule out an efficient single turbo setup.

I discuss turbo stuff with a friend who messes around with them quite a bit, and I was hoping to get some outside perspective on the twin turbo angle with this thread. He also ultimately would use a single turbo if he were in my shoes.. but it doesn't stop him from debating the merits of two. I'm sure that, if we felt like it, we'd discuss using six small electric leaf blowers instead.. if we thought there may be any possible benefit to it.

I don't mean to come off as rude or insulting, but it's frustrating to come to a place that seems to be full of people desiring to be different than the rest, but then to get a short and common answer to a question about a different setup. Do you see where I'm coming from with this?

I am giving you discussion on it. Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean it's not discussion.

Take it or leave it.

This thread is predicated on what you are going to do and really doesn't leave much room for a discussion. As soon as I read
more concerned with making it a torque monster than raw horsepower numbers.
my brain switched off. I really don't know what the fascination with and what a "torque monster" is, let alone what benefit would be derived.

Maybe you can explain to us what the goal is and how a tractor wouldn't fit the bill.

Besides, if you want a lot of off-idle torque, then you really don't want a turbocharged setup at all. A positive displacement blower would be a much better choice.

I want a car where I don't have to rev the crap out of it to make power. I'm not building a race car. I have zero interest in drag racing. I want my around-town toy to be as fun as possible while thrashing through the gears. I want that power when I want it, but I want reasonable economy when I don't have my foot in it. I don't expect it to be a Ferrari when my foot's down and a Prius when it isn't, but considering a Jap car like the MR2 turbo from the 90s is roughly the same weight and has around the power I want from an engine half the size and manages to get decent economy, I don't think my goals are unreasonable considering I'm willing to update the transmission and gearing to match engine upgrades. I thought that would be easy to understand, but I guess not. I explained all this in the link above, and was told I should consider a turbo setup over a supercharger. Now I'm getting the opposite story.

Well since you seem to know everything and not really want our advice - then just go out and do it, and prove us all wrong.

I'll be waiting...

LincolnMarkVII":3fawwktv said:
Now I'm getting the opposite story.

People have differing opinions sometimes. Sorry, that is how the world works.

Me, I'd go with a single turbo, small turbine A/R to get the thing spinning quickly. If you want more than 10 psi, intercool it or methanol inject. Rx-7s and many other factory turbo cars had small fenderwell intercoolers. The twin turbos you mentioned were done to minimize lag on small displacement engines, and had a complicated system of flapper doors and vacuum ports in the intake. Not feasible for someone that isn't an automotive engineer. Use a single turbo, ball bearing if you can afford it. Garrett's GT35 series would be what you want.

wallaka":2661vthu said:
LincolnMarkVII":2661vthu said:
Now I'm getting the opposite story.

People have differing opinions sometimes. Sorry, that is how the world works.

Me, I'd go with a single turbo, small turbine A/R to get the thing spinning quickly. If you want more than 10 psi, intercool it or methanol inject. Rx-7s and many other factory turbo cars had small fenderwell intercoolers. The twin turbos you mentioned were done to minimize lag on small displacement engines, and had a complicated system of flapper doors and vacuum ports in the intake. Not feasible for someone that isn't an automotive engineer. Use a single turbo, ball bearing if you can afford it. Garrett's GT35 series would be what you want.

I realize that that is what many here would go with. I've already conceded a few posts earlier that the single turbo was probably the more sensible thing to do. I guess either I'm not making myself very clear, or everyone's in quick-answer mode. I'm not looking for a quick answer. If simple was all I cared about, I have a 351W sitting on an engine stand waiting to go into something.

I guess I need to find a forum devoted specifically to turbocharging, and ask there in hopes of finding the discussion I'm looking for. I will keep the brand/model recommendation in mind, though. Thanks.

Fair enough. http://www.theturboforums.com is a good place for general info, though they will be rude if you do not thoroughly search the archives before you ask a question.

They will probably give the same advice, however. No need to make things unnecessarily complicated for little to no gain.

A friend recommended that site soon after my last post. I've been reading their turbocharger theory page off and on since then. It looks like there could be some promise in turbos with a higher than average adiabatic efficiency but with a narrower RPM range. Small and efficient is sort of the direction I was heading with that. I'll probably spend much of tomorrow reading further into it. I started drawing up crude diagrams to better illustrate what I was talking about, too. It's not easy getting the jumble of thoughts in my head out in a readable fashion.

Truth be told, I went into this thinking I'd rather just slap an M90 on it and be done with it.. but xecute's long response in my original thread steered me towards turbos. According to him, the supercharger would always make the engine act bigger than it is. I want to try to maintain part-throttle economy within reason.

Back