Which is more desirable?

Please vote, ONLY if you plan to buy within the next year.

• Procharger

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paxton

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Eaton M90

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Turbo

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Bronch, yeah - but you would need to find a way to get your truck from New Mexico to CA. :)

I'm an engineer by day and a welder/fabricator by night.

I golf(poorly) in between!

Bort62":1oqhd3if said:
MustangSix":1oqhd3if said:
Just as a swag, if I were a really good welder, it might take 2 hours to MIG or 4 hours to TIG and dress all those tubes. That's $150-$300 right there, at current shop rates.

Dressing and then TIGing a 6 cylinder header correctly in 4 hours would be a world freaking record. It took me nearly 4 hours to extend my golf clubs ;)

I didn't say it would be pretty! :(

8)

For 170/200/250 turbo manifolds, US market might not be that large but didnt the Oz inlines use same exhaust manifold til the Crossflows came out?

Seems there would be a large market for them in Oz.

Anlushac11":2q49pskr said:
My worry with a cast iron turbo manifold is cracking. The 2.3L turbo E3 manifold was notorious for cracking. Even the later much improved E6 cast iron exhaust manifold is not immune to cracking.

My thinking that a tubular manifold probably would not last as long but it would be easier to repair.

Can a high quality cast iron manifold be repaired by welding?

I never said cast iron only cast. Cast steel and cast SS holds up better at temps then cast iron. That is why the turbine sections are made from cast steel.

a simple weld EL manifold would prob be the most doable. but trying to get a log that would fit under an OZ intake might be al ittle tougher.

as far as a welded tube style don't forget the 2.3L ATR header had HUGE cracking problems.

weld el manifold would be the best route. just have some cnc flanges made up and a simple jig to clamp and locate the parts for welding. fab time would be higher but welding the thicker tubing can be done a little faster since it is more forgiving then a thin tube.

I would love to see a turbo manifold for a 250 especially since I cant even find a header,and I AM deffinatly going to add a turbo to my car within the next year hoping before next spring.IT would be awsome if you guys sold a kit(minus the turbo).

AzCoupe":3tttwd9a said:
I've done quite a bit of reseach on both, cast and steel. A cast header will handle the heat better, won't crack if its designed properly, will last much longer, and will be cheaper in the long run. The key is to hire a company with plenty of experience casting turbo headers. I've talked with such a company and have a bid, however it takes a confirmed order of 200 pieces to move forward. Unfortunately, with the economy being what it is, and slow sales, it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

I know that I'm coming into this late. Is this potentially a 3 piece design similiar to the pulse manafolds for the Cummins? The reason I ask is that several companies have been sucessful with the 3 piece/pulse design to address the cracking from heat cycles in the CTD's.

Back